McIntyre, Devils Haunt Phantoms, 5-1
BINGHAMTON - Ryan Schmelzer recorded another multi-point night and Zane McIntyre stopped 34 of 35 shots as the Binghamton Devils defeated the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 5-1, from Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena on Saturday night.
Late in the first, Fabian Zetterlund grabbed his eighth goal of the season to give the Devils the first lead of the game. After getting a new stick at the bench, Mikhail Maltsev tapped a pass from the boards over to an open Zetterlund who got a quick shot off that slid right under the pads of Alex Lyon. Maltsev tallied the sole assist and the Devils took the one-goal lead into the intermission.
The Devils remained hot as Egor Sharangovich picked up a shorthanded goal just 2:24 into the second frame. Ryan Schmelzer raced down the right side of the boards and slid a pass up to Sharangovich past a lone Phantoms defender. Sharangovich took it all the way to the net and sunk the puck just out of reach of the glove side of Lyon for Binghamton. Jacobs logged the second assist on the lead-extending goal.
Next up was a power-play goal for Binghamton as Schmelzer registered the last tap on it to put the Devils up by three. With 2:50 remaining in the middle stanza, Julian Melchiori fired the puck at the net from above the right-wing circle. Schmelzer managed to deflect the shot past Lyon for his seventh goal of the season. Melchiori grabbed the primary assist and Matt Tennyson was credited with the other and Binghamton took the 3-0 lead into the third.
Maltsev recorded his 11th goal of the year on the power play, giving the Devils a 4-0 lead. Nathan Bastian sent a short pass from the boards over to Brett Seney who ripped a quick shot that was deflected back out by Lyon. Maltsev was right there to finish the play by blasting the puck over the left shoulder of a diving Lyon. The goal came at 3:37 of the third with helpers from Seney and Bastian.
With 8:29 left in the final period, Lehigh Valley finally put themselves on the board and shortened the Devils lead to three. Mark Friedman flung a long pass up the ice that led to a Phantoms breakaway by Carsen Twarynski. Right out in front of the net, Twarynski rocketed the puck past Zane McIntyre for his seventh of the season. Nate Prosser recorded the secondary assist on the play.
After Binghamton missed two shorthanded, empty net opportunities, Bastian collected one with just 2:44 remaining in the third for a 5-1 lead. Tyler Wotherspoon tried to clear the zone, lost control of the puck, and Bastian was there to race in and beat the lone defender in front of the net for his 15th of the season, unassisted.
McIntyre stopped 34 of 35 in the win and Lyon denied 29 of 33 in the loss.
The Devils are back home Wednesday, March 18 against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms at 7:05 p.m. Kids under the age of 12 can get FREE tickets with the purchase of an adult ticket and a FREE happy meal courtesy of McDonald's and Mix 103.3FM. Tickets are available by calling or texting "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Download the FREE Binghamton Devils mobile app for Apple and Android. Get live score updates and breaking news notifications right to your phone!
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils vs. the Lehigh Valley Phantoms
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 7, 2020
- Sens Doubled up by Amerks - Belleville Senators
- Miska Serves up 34-Save Shutout in Eagles 3-0 Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Moose Edge Iowa in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Oettinger's 45 Saves Fuel 4-1 Tex as Victory over Milwaukee - Texas Stars
- Wahlstrom, Helgeson score in road loss on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Fall in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Stun Sound Tigers with 5-2 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins Alone in Third After Blanking 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ads Fire 46 Shots on Net But Fall to Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Complete Weekend Sweep of Senators - Rochester Americans
- Pack Manages a Goal, but Falls to Bears Again - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Iowa Falls to Manitoba 4-3 in the Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Guhle to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Bears Sweep Back-To-Back Set in Hartford with 4-1 Win - Hershey Bears
- Martel Nets Two in Pink in the Rink Defeat - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Down Marlies, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Claim Point But Fall to Comets in OT - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Comeback Yields Overtime Win in Charlotte - Utica Comets
- McIntyre Stymies Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Set for Saturday Showdown with Syracuse - Toronto Marlies
- McIntyre, Devils Haunt Phantoms, 5-1 - Binghamton Devils
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Huge Crowd for Condors Star Wars Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton, Bakersfield Face off Saturday at Mechanics Bank Arena - Stockton Heat
- Justin Almeida Reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Americans, March 7 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, March 7, 2020 at Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Game 56 Preview: Tucson at Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Down Gulls in OT Behind Sawchenko's 42 Saves - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Edges Gulls in OT - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Rally for 3-2 Win over Condors - Stockton Heat
- Rempal Scores, Reign Falls - Ontario Reign
- Currie with Two Goals in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Devils Stories
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Street Named Devils' 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Devils, Americans, Comets, and Crunch to Host Blood Drives
- AHL Suspends Season - Statement from the Binghamton Devils
- Devils Roll By Amerks, 5-2