Martel Nets Two in Pink in the Rink Defeat
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds (30-27-3-0) could not overcome a first period burst by the Providence Bruins (36-18-3-3) in a 4-2 defeat on Saturday's Pink in the Rink night inside a sold-out MassMutual Center.
The Bruins quickly went on the offensive in pursuit of their 10th consecutive win, and at just the 7:09 marker in the game, they opened the scoring as Ryan Fitzgerald cashed into an empty goal from the left-wing side off a steal and centering pass from Paul Carey. It was already the Bruins' ninth shot attempt of the game on Ryan Bednard, who had to face 14 shots in the first 20 minutes of game action.
Providence would add to its lead at 14:37 when Trent Frederic - given room at the left point to crank up a slap shot - blistered the puck through traffic and past Bednard to extend the Bruins' advantage, 2-0.
The first period would not end without fireworks in the form of two separate sets of fighting majors in bouts between Frederic and Danick Martel, as well as Ryan Haggerty against Wiley Sherman.
After serving his fight, Martel finally got the T-Birds on the board at 6:20 of the second when he took a face-off drop feed from Rodrigo Abols, skated to the left-wing corner, and elevated a shot that ricocheted off Max Lagace and into the Providence goal to cut the lead in half, 2-1.
Springfield would get two power play bids to add to their total, but Lagace and Providence stood their ground, and Zach Senyshyn gave his team some extra insurance at 14:57 to give the Bruins a 3-1 lead heading into the third. Senyshyn streaked to the goal on the right side, and Brendan Gaunce's centering pass found its way through Bednard via the shin pad of Senyshyn.
Lagace's strong night continued into the final period, as he made a beautiful right pad save on Haggerty on the doorstep to maintain the two-goal Bruin lead.
With a fifth power play chance in the final minute of the period, Martel deflected an Ethan Prow wrister past Lagace from in front of the crease to make it a 3-2 game with 45 seconds to play.
The goal proved to be too little, too late though, as Jack Studnicka cleared a puck into an empty net with just 13 seconds to go and round out Providence's 10th consecutive victory.
For more ticket information or to become a 2020-21 Springfield Thunderbirds ticket package member, or to purchase single game tickets, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
Images from this story
Springfield Thunderbirds Pink in the Rink Night
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 7, 2020
- Sens Doubled up by Amerks - Belleville Senators
- Miska Serves up 34-Save Shutout in Eagles 3-0 Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Moose Edge Iowa in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Oettinger's 45 Saves Fuel 4-1 Tex as Victory over Milwaukee - Texas Stars
- Wahlstrom, Helgeson score in road loss on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Fall in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Stun Sound Tigers with 5-2 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins Alone in Third After Blanking 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ads Fire 46 Shots on Net But Fall to Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Complete Weekend Sweep of Senators - Rochester Americans
- Pack Manages a Goal, but Falls to Bears Again - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Iowa Falls to Manitoba 4-3 in the Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Guhle to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Bears Sweep Back-To-Back Set in Hartford with 4-1 Win - Hershey Bears
- Martel Nets Two in Pink in the Rink Defeat - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Down Marlies, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Claim Point But Fall to Comets in OT - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Comeback Yields Overtime Win in Charlotte - Utica Comets
- McIntyre Stymies Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Set for Saturday Showdown with Syracuse - Toronto Marlies
- McIntyre, Devils Haunt Phantoms, 5-1 - Binghamton Devils
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Huge Crowd for Condors Star Wars Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton, Bakersfield Face off Saturday at Mechanics Bank Arena - Stockton Heat
- Justin Almeida Reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Americans, March 7 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, March 7, 2020 at Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Game 56 Preview: Tucson at Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Down Gulls in OT Behind Sawchenko's 42 Saves - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Edges Gulls in OT - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Rally for 3-2 Win over Condors - Stockton Heat
- Rempal Scores, Reign Falls - Ontario Reign
- Currie with Two Goals in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Thunderbirds Foundation Donates $15,000 to the Rays of Hope
- Thunderbirds Honored by AHL for Ticket Sales Excellence
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 19-20 Season
- Springfield Thunderbirds Team up to Provide Meals to Local Hospitals
- Paul Thompson Named Springfield Thunderbirds 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year