Checkers Claim Point But Fall to Comets in OT
CHARLOTTE, NC -The Checkers pulled out a point in their rematch with Utica, but a squandered lead led to an overtime defeat at the hands of the Comets.
Despite losing their leading scorer Morgan Geekie to an NHL recall just before puck drop, the Checkers pushed their way to a two-goal lead midway through the game thanks to a pair of redirections out front.
The Comets caught a spark from there, however, as Reid Boucher struck twice on the power play to even the score and push things beyond regulation.
The two sides traded chances in the overtime until the final 90 seconds when Utica pulled off a slick move in tight and lit the lamp to complete their comeback and earn the two points.
Coach Ryan Warsofsky on losing the 2-0 lead
They score the power-play goal off the faceoff play and we've just got to be a little bit tighter. I've got to look at the calls. They were horrendous calls, and we've seen it all year.
Warsofsky on Utica forward Reid Boucher
He's got a deadly shot, and we know when he's on the ice. We talk about it a lot. He's got a great shot and a knack for scoring goals. He's a smart player that finds time and space. He obviously had a big weekend for them.
Warsofsky on the Checkers' goals
Getting bodies in front. The one power-play goal Bourque gets a tip on it, and then the next one is just Coop going to the net. That's what we talked about - getting bodies and traffic to the net.
Warsofsky on the three-on-three overtime period
We went two D there at one point because we have some really skilled defensemen and gave it a little different look, but I thought we pushed. The guys put a hell of an effort forward and unfortunately we couldn't get that second point.
Tonight's jersey auction raised $27,825 for The Independence Fund ... The Checkers fell to 1-5 in games decided during the five-minute overtime period ... Ryan Bourque scored his first goal as a Checker in just his second game ... Mark Cooper has four points in six games as a Checker ... Prior to giving up two goals tonight, the Checkers had killed 24 consecutive penalties over their last five games ... AHL scoring leader Reid Boucher (3g, 1a) and Carter Camper (1g, 3a) had points on four of Utica's five goals this weekend ... The Checkers fell to 0-2-1 against Utica this season ... Gustav Forsling has assists in consecutive games ... Forwards Brian Gibbons and Colin Markison and defenseman Cavan Fitzgerald missed the game due to injury.
Charlotte's home stand rolls on with a Tuesday matchup against Cleveland.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 7, 2020
- Sens Doubled up by Amerks - Belleville Senators
- Miska Serves up 34-Save Shutout in Eagles 3-0 Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Moose Edge Iowa in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Oettinger's 45 Saves Fuel 4-1 Tex as Victory over Milwaukee - Texas Stars
- Wahlstrom, Helgeson score in road loss on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Fall in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Stun Sound Tigers with 5-2 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins Alone in Third After Blanking 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ads Fire 46 Shots on Net But Fall to Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Complete Weekend Sweep of Senators - Rochester Americans
- Pack Manages a Goal, but Falls to Bears Again - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Iowa Falls to Manitoba 4-3 in the Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Guhle to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Bears Sweep Back-To-Back Set in Hartford with 4-1 Win - Hershey Bears
- Martel Nets Two in Pink in the Rink Defeat - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Down Marlies, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Claim Point But Fall to Comets in OT - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Comeback Yields Overtime Win in Charlotte - Utica Comets
- McIntyre Stymies Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Set for Saturday Showdown with Syracuse - Toronto Marlies
- McIntyre, Devils Haunt Phantoms, 5-1 - Binghamton Devils
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Huge Crowd for Condors Star Wars Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton, Bakersfield Face off Saturday at Mechanics Bank Arena - Stockton Heat
- Justin Almeida Reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Americans, March 7 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, March 7, 2020 at Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Game 56 Preview: Tucson at Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Down Gulls in OT Behind Sawchenko's 42 Saves - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Edges Gulls in OT - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Rally for 3-2 Win over Condors - Stockton Heat
- Rempal Scores, Reign Falls - Ontario Reign
- Currie with Two Goals in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.