Comets Comeback Yields Overtime Win in Charlotte
Charlotte, NC - The Utica Comets never led until they won the game in overtime as they came from behind to defeat the Charlotte Checkers by a 3-2 margin on Saturday at Bojangles' Coliseum.
The Comets created a handful of chances in the first period, but the Checkers were the only team able to find the back of the goal. While operating on a powerplay late in the frame, Joey Keane took a long shot that was re-directed by Ryan Bourque and past Jake Kielly, who was making his first AHL start.
Charlotte doubled their lead just over six minutes into the second period, as Mark Cooper was rewarded for crashing the net, as he was able to re-direct a right-wing shot from Clark Bishop and over the line.
The Comets roared right back with their first of the night after earning a power play effort in the middle stages of the period. After Brogan Rafferty caught a feed at the line, he settled the puck down and slid it over to Reid Boucher, who smashed a one-timer to the net that flew over the pad of Keith Kinkaid for his 33rd of the season.
Utica's power play efficiency continued into the third period and allowed the Comets to tie the game at 2-2, 11:59 into the period. After winning a faceoff, Tyler Graovac got the puck along to Boucher, who used another pinpoint one-timer to beat Kinkaid for his 34th goal of the season. The goal marked Boucher's 175th career point as a comet, tying a franchise record.
Neither team broke the tie before the end of regulation, setting the stage for an overtime session. Late in the overtime period, the Comets generated the winner as Brogan Rafferty dangled his way through the entire Checkers' defense before laying a backhand feed to the tape of Kole Lind for the game winner.
The Comets are back in action Wednesday, March 11 at home against the Syracuse Crunch. Puck drop is at 7 p.m. Tickets are still available at the Box Office, over the phone by calling (315) 790-9070, or online at www.empirestatetix.com. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 7, 2020
- Sens Doubled up by Amerks - Belleville Senators
- Miska Serves up 34-Save Shutout in Eagles 3-0 Win over Ontario - Colorado Eagles
- Moose Edge Iowa in Shootout - Manitoba Moose
- Oettinger's 45 Saves Fuel 4-1 Tex as Victory over Milwaukee - Texas Stars
- Wahlstrom, Helgeson score in road loss on Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Wolves Fall in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Penguins Stun Sound Tigers with 5-2 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins Alone in Third After Blanking 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Ads Fire 46 Shots on Net But Fall to Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Complete Weekend Sweep of Senators - Rochester Americans
- Pack Manages a Goal, but Falls to Bears Again - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Iowa Falls to Manitoba 4-3 in the Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Guhle to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Bears Sweep Back-To-Back Set in Hartford with 4-1 Win - Hershey Bears
- Martel Nets Two in Pink in the Rink Defeat - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Crunch Down Marlies, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Claim Point But Fall to Comets in OT - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Comeback Yields Overtime Win in Charlotte - Utica Comets
- McIntyre Stymies Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Marlies Set for Saturday Showdown with Syracuse - Toronto Marlies
- McIntyre, Devils Haunt Phantoms, 5-1 - Binghamton Devils
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Huge Crowd for Condors Star Wars Night Tonight at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Stockton, Bakersfield Face off Saturday at Mechanics Bank Arena - Stockton Heat
- Justin Almeida Reassigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Americans, March 7 - Belleville Senators
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, March 7, 2020 at Belleville Senators - Rochester Americans
- Game 56 Preview: Tucson at Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Down Gulls in OT Behind Sawchenko's 42 Saves - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Edges Gulls in OT - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Rally for 3-2 Win over Condors - Stockton Heat
- Rempal Scores, Reign Falls - Ontario Reign
- Currie with Two Goals in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.