Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
October 29, 2019 - American Hockey League (AHL)
Last week the North Carolina Courage won the National Women's Soccer League Championship for the second year in a row, Major League Soccer awarded an expansion team to Sacramento, and the XFL released its 2020 schedule. Highlights from this week are from the National Women's Soccer League, Major League Soccer, Canadian Premier League, American Hockey League, Western Hockey League and Canadian Football League.
National Women's Soccer League
In front of 10,227 fans, the largest home crowd in North Carolina Football Club history, the North Carolina Courage defeated the Chicago Red Stars 4-0 to win the 2019 NWSL Championship for their second straight league title.
Here are the highlights:
The National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) announced that Louisville will become the League's fourth expansion team. Louisville is set to begin play in the 2021 season at Lynn Family Stadium, the soccer-specific venue with a capacity of nearly 14,000 set to open in spring of 2020. Louisville is the 48th ranked television market in the U.S.
Chicago Red Stars forward Sam Kerr has been named the 2019 NWSL Most Valuable Player, the league announced. This marks Kerr's second career MVP recognition. She also won the award in 2017 while playing for Sky Blue FC and becomes the only two-time MVP in league history.
Reign FC head coach Vlatko Andonovski was named the National Women's Soccer League's Coach of the Year, the league announced. In his second season in charge of the club, Andonovski led Reign FC to the NWSL semifinals and produced his fourth season with at least 10 wins.
Major League Soccer
Marking the culmination of a journey that began more than five years ago, Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber officially announced that Major League Soccer (MLS) has awarded an expansion team to California's capital city, Sacramento. Sacramento is the 20th ranked television market in the U.S.
What a finish by Atlanta United FC midfielder Julian Gressel:
Canadian Premier League
Forge FC midfielder Tristan Borges - the 1st ever player to score in the Canadian Premier League Finals:
United Soccer League One
Lansing Ignite FC announced today that it has ceased operations, effective immediately, and will not continue beyond the 2019 season.
The XFL announced its 2020 schedule, a 79-day sprint from kick-off to the championship game. The 10-week regular season starts Saturday, February 8 at 2:00 PM ET, with the DC Defenders hosting the Seattle Dragons on ABC, followed by the Los Angeles Wildcats traveling to Houston for a game against the Roughnecks at 5:00 PM ET on FOX.
Canadian Football League
The Saskatchewan Roughriders have signed starting quarterback Cody Fajardo to a two-year contract extension, keeping him with the club through 2021.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers quarterback Zach Collaros completes an unbelievable scrambling touchdown pass:
Saskatchewan Roughriders kicker Brett Lauther connects on a game-winning 43-yard field goal:
National Arena League
Effective immediately, the Jersey Flight will become a member of the National Arena League. Jersey joins West Virginia Roughriders as the second northeastern expansion team that has come on board for next season.
American Hockey League
Comeback complete. The Rochester Americans scored late to tie the game and then picked up the game-winner in overtime.
Western Hockey League
Buffalo Sabres prospect Dylan Cozens of the Lethbridge Hurricanes scores a sweet goal with a sweet move.
NBA G League
The Northern Arizona Suns selected Anthony Lawrence II (6-7, 210, Miami) with the first overall pick of the 2019 NBA G League Draft. Throughout Lawrence's four years at the University of Miami, the 23-year-old started 81 of 130 career games and averaged 8.0 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.0 assists.
League MVP of the Triplets Joe Johnson was released by the NBA Detroit Pistons.
Premier Lacrosse League
The Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) announced today the expansion of a seventh lacrosse club set to begin play during the 2020 season. The Premier Lacrosse League will hold an official Expansion Draft in February 2020 to decide the roster for the seventh club. Additionally, all seven clubs will be eligible to draft players in the 2020 College Draft in April.
South Atlantic League
The Transylvania University Athletic Department and the Lexington Legends announced an agreement to make Whitaker Bank Ballpark the new home venue of the Pioneers baseball team for the 2019-2020 season.
The Lehigh Valley IronPigs, in conjunction with Minor League Baseball, have announced today that they are the recipients of the Larry MacPhail Award, symbolizing the top promotional effort in all of Minor League Baseball (160 teams).
A record amount of player prize money - including a new additional increase of $1 million for the postseason - will be at stake when the 45th World TeamTennis season hits the courts from July 12-Aug. 1, 2020, league officials have announced. The prize money will increase to a staggering $5 million for the season, with the added $1 million awarded in WTT Playoffs compensation, including a $500,000 bonus to the team that hoists the King Trophy in 2020.
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 29, 2019
- Admirals Break out in Win over Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- Post Game Notes: Texas 2 at Milwaukee 6 - Texas Stars
- Mahura Recalled, Guhle Assigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- San Jose Barracuda Acquire Defenseman Marcus Crawford from Grand Rapids - San Jose Barracuda
- Griffins Acquire Marcus Vela from Barracuda - Grand Rapids Griffins
- San Diego Gulls Defenseman Chris Wideman Launches Wideman's Warriors Military Ticket Program - San Diego Gulls
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Forward Jayson Megna - Colorado Eagles
- Detroit Assigns Svechnikov to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- U.S., Russian Teams to Compete in International Youth Sled Hockey Tournament - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hogs Host First Dog Days & Winning Weekdays Wednesday at BMO - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Weekly #4: Three in Three on Tap as Bears Open November - Hershey Bears
- San Jose Barracuda Announce Second Cuda Classroom Day - San Jose Barracuda
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Iowa Wild Announces Change of Start Time for March 2 Game - Iowa Wild
- Springfield Thunderbirds Recall D Dylan MacPherson from Greenville (ECHL) - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Weekly: Penguins Enter November with Pair of Games against Division Foes - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Announce Details of Military Appreciation Day - Utica Comets
- Griffins Finish out Homestand, Head to Manitoba - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barracuda Reassign Forward Ivanyuzhenkov and Goaltender Sawchenko to ECHL - San Jose Barracuda
- Syracuse Crunch to Kickoff Movember Presented by Upstate University Hospital November 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Blackwell Recalled by Predators - Milwaukee Admirals
- Iowa Wild Reassigns Dmitry Sokolov to Allen - Iowa Wild
- Predators Sign Captain Roman Josi to Eight-Year Contract - Milwaukee Admirals
- Kings Recall Carl Grundstrom - Ontario Reign
- Devils Sign Stanley Cup Champion Kyle Cumiskey - Binghamton Devils
- Red Wings Recall Joe Hicketts - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game 8 Preview: Chicago at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- The Bridgeport Report - Week 4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Cornell Recalled from Worcester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.