K-Wings Weekly: Week of February 3
Kalamazoo prepares for three home games this week after successful, season-long road trip.
OVERALL RECORD: 16-21-6
LAST WEEK: 2-1-1
Tuesday, Jan. 28 - Kalamazoo 6, Kansas City 1 (Silverstein Eye Centers Arena - Independence, MO) | Box Score
>> A hat trick from forward David Pope in his return to the lineup from the American Hockey League's Utica Comets led the Kalamazoo Wings to a dominating 6-1 win over the Kansas City Mavericks Tuesday at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. Kalamazoo also received goals from Justin Taylor, Tanner Sorenson and a power play tally from Just Kovacs in the rout, the K-Wings most lopsided win of the season. Goaltender Jake Hildebrand stopped 24 of 25 shots for his second straight victory.
Thursday, Jan. 30 - Kalamazoo 5, Indy 3 (Indiana Farmers Coliseum - Indianapolis, IN) | Box Score
>> Three unanswered goals in the final 8:06 of regulation sprung the K-Wings past the Indy Fuel in a 5-3 win Thursday at Indiana Farmers Coliseum. Indy scored first on their second of seven power plays in the game, but Kalamazoo answered with back-to-back goals from Zach Diamantoni and Luke Sandler just eight seconds apart to lead 2-1 after one. The Fuel tied the game on a late-second period breakaway and went back in front with another power play marker in the third, but Matt VanVoorhis and Austin Farley scored 41 seconds apart late in the game to springboard Kalamazoo back into the lead. Matheson Iacopelli added an insurance goal and Jake Hildebrand stopped 31 of 34 for his third straight win.
Friday, Jan. 31 - Toledo 6, Kalamazoo 3 (Huntington Center - Toledo, OH) | Box Score
>> A late penalty shot goal from Josh Kestner halted Kalamazoo's comeback bid Friday in a 6-3 loss at Toledo. The K-Wings, who twice earlier cut their deficit down to one with goals from Matheson Iacopelli and Zach Frye, pulled to within a goal when Austin Farley made it 4-3 with under seven minutes to play at the Huntington Center. With a four-minute power play in the final five minutes, the K-Wings upended Kestner on a short-handed breakaway and he converted on the penalty shot to make it 5-3, before the Walleye added an empty net goal.
Saturday, Feb. 1 - Cincinnati 4, Kalamazoo 3, OT (Heritage Bank Center - Cincinnati, OH) | Box Score
>> Following a sluggish start in which they fell behind 3-0 in the first period, the K-Wings roared back to gain a point in an eventual 4-3 overtime loss Saturday at Heritage Bank Center. Cincinnati outshot Kalamazoo 13-3 in the opening frame, but the K-Wings responded with a 12-6 shots advantage in the second period, where Justin Kovacs scored late to make it 3-1 after 40 minutes. Matheson Iacopelli scored to make it 3-2 and Zach Diamantoni redirected a point shot into the net to tie the game with 6:03 remaining as the teams skated toward overtime. Kalamazoo killed off a penalty in the extra frame, but Pascal Aquin scored his second of the contest, the game-winner with 1:07 left in the extra session for the Cyclones.
THE WEEK AHEAD
Wednesday, Feb. 5 - Kansas City vs Kalamazoo, 7:00 p.m. - Wings Event Center (Kalamazoo, MI)
Friday, Feb. 7 - Fort Wayne vs Kalamazoo, 7:00 p.m. - Wings Event Center (Kalamazoo, MI)
Saturday, Feb. 8 - Indy vs Kalamazoo, 7:00 p.m. - Wings Event Center (Kalamazoo, MI)
ON THE MOVE
1/28 - Forward David Pope assigned to Kalamazoo from Utica (AHL) by Vancouver (NHL).
1/28 - Forward Dylan Sadowy recalled from loan by Utica (AHL).
1/30 - Forward Tanner Sorenson recalled from loan by Utica (AHL).
1/31 - Forward David Pope reassigned to Utica (AHL) by Vancouver (NHL).
- Jake Hildebrand is 4-1-1 in his last six starts.
- Matheson Iacopelli has 7 points (5g, 2a) during his current 5-game point streak.
- Austin Farley has 5 points (2g, 3a) during his current 5-game point streak.
- Kalamazoo's recent 3-game road winning streak was its longest of the season.
- The K-Wings 6-1 win over Kansas City Tuesday was its second five-goal victory of the season.
- Kalamazoo is 4-1-1-1 against Mountain Division opponents.
POINTS: 31 - Matheson Iacopelli
GOALS: 16 - Iacopelli
ASSISTS: 22 - Kyle Blaney
PLUS/MINUS: +6 - Ian Edmondson
PIMS: 89 - Luke Sandler
PP GOALS: 6 - Justin Taylor
SH GOALS: 1 - Brennan Sanford, Tanner Sorenson, Aaron Thow
GW GOALS: 4 - Iacopelli, Taylor
SHOTS: 159 - Iacopelli
WINS: 11 - Jake Hildebrand
GAA: 3.66 - Hildebrand
SAVE %: .885 - Hildebrand, Jake Kielly
POWER PLAY: Overall - 32/165 (19.4%) - 8th in ECHL
Last Week - 2/15 (13.3%)
PENALTY KILL: Overall - 140/182 (76.9%) - 25th in ECHL
Last Week - 15/19 (78.9%)
2-6-9 NIGHT - WEDNESDAY
Time for another "2-6-9 Night"! At every Wednesday home game, enjoy $2 beers and sodas, $6 wings baskets, and get into the game with just a $9 ticket. Take advantage of these great discounts as the K-Wings host the Kansas City Mavericks at 7:00 p.m. at Wings Event Center. It's also another Winning Wednesday! If the K-Wings win, save your ticket stub and redeem it at the box office for a ticket to the next Wednesday night home game.
90'S NIGHT - FRIDAY
Jam out to 90's music, wear your neon clothes, headbands and fanny packs Friday as the K-Wings battle the Fort Wayne Komets. The puck drops at 7:00 p.m. at Wings Event Center on this fan-requested 90's Night. Take advantage of our $2 Friday special, featuring $2 beers, sodas and hot dogs.
MARVEL SUPER HERO NIGHT - SATURDAY
The Kalamazoo Wings will be dressed as Spiderman for the team's third annual Marvel Super Hero Night on Saturday, when they face the Indy Fuel at 7:00 p.m. at Wings Event Center.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 3, 2020
- Ty Ronning Re-Joins Wolf Pack - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Home Saturday and Sunday - Toledo Walleye
- Smereck Earns Call-Up to Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- ECHL Transactions - February 3 - ECHL
- Stingrays Acquire Defender Neal Goff - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mavericks Deal Blueliner Goff to South Carolina for Rookie Forward Vanderlaan - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen Americans Deliver Bears to Children's Health Plano - Allen Americans
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 3 - Tulsa Oilers
- Roe Named AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of Month - Florida Everblades
- Florida's Roe Is AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Americans Rally from 4-1 Deficit to Beat Wichita 7-6 - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Weekly Report - February 3 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Mavs Monday: Mavs Hit the Road for Quick SetBefore Returning Home - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Weekly - February 3, 2020 - Idaho Steelheads
- Weekly Report: Royals Surging with Pink in the Rink Ahead - Reading Royals
- Thunder Weekly, February 3 - Wichita Thunder
- Komets Return Home Saturday; Oilers Visit for Wizarding World Night and Report Card Night - Fort Wayne Komets
- 'Blades Weekly: Rivalry with Orlando Returns as Part of Busy Week - Florida Everblades
- Mariners Weekly: Movin' on Up - Maine Mariners
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Continues Road Trip in Wichita, Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 17 (January 27 - February 2, 2020) - Indy Fuel
- Ruwe Named Honig's/ECHL Official of the Month - ECHL
- "3-Millionth Fan" to be Named Saturday, February 8 at Pink in the Rink Night - Reading Royals
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of February 3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.