K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night
Kalamazoo, MI. - On a night where the pregame was headlined by the retirement of former K-Wing goaltender Georges Gagnon's number one jersey, it was current goaltender Jake Hildebrand who headlined the game stopping a career high 52 of 55 shots, as the K-Wings topped the Walleye 4-3 in the shootout.
Kyle Thomas netted a pair of goals for the K-Wings while Tanner Sorenson added a pair of assists. The K-Wings power play netted multiple goals for the second time in the last three games.
The K-Wings power play got the offense moving in the first period. Kyle Thomas collected a rebound in front of the net and pushed it past Kaden Fulcher to get the home team on the board. Kalamazoo lead 1-0 after the first period, and built off that lead in the second.
At even strength Kalamazoo doubled the lead. Matt Joyaux one-timed a rebound past Fulcher, putting the K-Wing lead at 2-0. Later in the period Kyle Thomas and the power play struck again, putting Kalamazoo up 3-0. On a power play of their own the Walleye would use their 34th shot of the night to break through Jake Hildebrand, cutting the lead to 3-1 after the second.
In the third period the Walleye stormed back to tie the game at 3-3 courtesy of a pair of goals from Matt Register setting the stage for overtime.
After the teams traded chances in the extra period without a goal, Kalamazoo and Toledo headed to the shootout. After a scoreless three rounds in the shootout Kyle Thomas walked it off for the K-Wings sending the puck through the legs of Kaden Fulcher, and the K-Wings home with two points.
The victory was the first of the season in the shootout for the K-Wings.
Jake Hildebrand set a career high with 52 saves for the K-Wings, while Kaden Fulcher stopped 33 of 36 for the Walleye.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Game Day: K-Wings Host Game 5 Saturday Night at Wings Event Center
- K-Wings Tie It Late But Fall 4-3 on Wideman's Power Play Marker
- Game Day: Wings Host Game Four Looking to Even Series
- Power Play Scores for Third Straight Game as K-Wings Fall 4-1
- Game Day: Playoff Hockey Returns to Wings Event Center