K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night
Kalamazoo, MI. - On a night where the pregame was headlined by the retirement of former K-Wing goaltender Georges Gagnon's number one jersey, it was current goaltender Jake Hildebrand who headlined the game stopping a career high 52 of 55 shots, as the K-Wings topped the Walleye 4-3 in the shootout.
Kyle Thomas netted a pair of goals for the K-Wings while Tanner Sorenson added a pair of assists. The K-Wings power play netted multiple goals for the second time in the last three games.
The K-Wings power play got the offense moving in the first period. Kyle Thomas collected a rebound in front of the net and pushed it past Kaden Fulcher to get the home team on the board. Kalamazoo lead 1-0 after the first period, and built off that lead in the second.
At even strength Kalamazoo doubled the lead. Matt Joyaux one-timed a rebound past Fulcher, putting the K-Wing lead at 2-0. Later in the period Kyle Thomas and the power play struck again, putting Kalamazoo up 3-0. On a power play of their own the Walleye would use their 34th shot of the night to break through Jake Hildebrand, cutting the lead to 3-1 after the second.
In the third period the Walleye stormed back to tie the game at 3-3 courtesy of a pair of goals from Matt Register setting the stage for overtime.
After the teams traded chances in the extra period without a goal, Kalamazoo and Toledo headed to the shootout. After a scoreless three rounds in the shootout Kyle Thomas walked it off for the K-Wings sending the puck through the legs of Kaden Fulcher, and the K-Wings home with two points.
The victory was the first of the season in the shootout for the K-Wings.
Jake Hildebrand set a career high with 52 saves for the K-Wings, while Kaden Fulcher stopped 33 of 36 for the Walleye.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.