Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen
NORFOLK, VA - The Norfolk Admirals scored four goals in the first period to rout the Jacksonville Icemen 6-1 before an announced crowd of 5,276 at Scope Saturday evening in the Annual Pink in the Rink game. Ty Reichenbach made 20 saves on 21 shots, as he won his 12th game of the year. T.J. Melancon and Jalen Smereck both had two assists, while Darik Angeli added a goal and an assist.
The Admirals got on the board first with a short-handed goal from Jake Wood. Norfolk was killing off a five-minute major penalty. Jacksonville shot the puck from the center point which was blocked by Jake Wood. Wood chipped the puck out of the Norfolk end and skated the other way. Wood skated in on a two-on-one with Matt McMorrow. Wood skated into the Jacksonville zone on the right side and shot the puck under the glove of Tanner Jalliet to give Norfolk a 1-0 lead.
Norfolk extended its lead to 2-0 with a goal from Manny Gialedakis. Gialedakis got a pass from Chase Harrison which sprung him in on a breakaway as he was leaving the box after serving the penalty. Gialedakis skated into the Jacksonville end and went from his forehand to his backhand and put it over the glove of Jalliet to give Norfolk a 2-0 lead.
The Admirals furthered their lead with another goal from Chris Crane, his 12th of the season. The Admirals were able to keep a long period of pressured zone time with the puck dumped into the Jacksonville end. Darik Angeli passed the puck from behind the net to Crane in the left circle who one-timed a shot home to give Norfolk a 3-0 lead.
Jacksonville cut the Norfolk lead to 3-1 with a goal from Cameron Critchlow. Critchlow went to dump it in behind the Norfolk net, but it hit off a stanchion in the corner and bounced out into the slot. Critchlow found the puck and fired it over the sprawled Reichenbach to get the Icemen on the board.
Before the close of the first period, Norfolk extended its lead with a goal from Kelly Klima. The Admirals were able to keep the puck behind the net on a delayed penalty. Klima got hauled down behind the net, which allowed teammate Luke Nogard to get the puck behind the net. Nogard fired a pass out in front of the net, where a second effort from Klima was able to backhand the shot over the blocker of Jalliet to give Norfolk a 4-1 lead.
The Admirals extended their lead to 5-1 in the second period with a goal from Donald Oliveri. Jacksonville had possession of the puck in the Norfolk zone and tried to feed a pass to the point, but no one was there. The puck bounced in front of the net, which led to a breakaway for Oliveri. Oliveri skated into the Jacksonville zone on the right side and fired off a wrister that hit off the crossbar and in to give Norfolk a 5-1 lead.
Norfolk added another goal with a power-play goal from Darik Angeli. Jalen Smereck went to play the puck along the left wall, but it bounced off the boards and caromed into the left circle. Angeli skated into the left circle, gathered the puck, and beat Jalliet between the legs to give Norfolk a 6-1 lead at the second break.
In the third Norfolk would close down the game to keep the Icemen off the board in the final frame to secure a 6-1 victory.
The Admirals will have a few days off for the ECHL All-Star break, but will return to action with a road game at Greenville on Friday (Jan, 25). Game time is set for 7:00 p.m.
Upcoming Home Games & Promotions
Wednesday, February 6, vs. Reading, 7:00 p.m.
Friday, February 8, vs. Reading, 7:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 9, vs. Atlanta, 7:00 p.m. Star Wars Night Star Wars Cos-play characters will be on hand and there will be a postgame skate with the Admirals players!
Admirals Ticket Information
Single Game Tickets may be purchased at the Scope Box Office, or online at Ticketmaster.com
Discounted Group Tickets: Bring your group of 10 or more to a game at a discounted price! Group tickets are available for all home games. Fundraising opportunities are also available.
2018-19 Ticket Packages are Currently on Sale! The Admirals offer flexible partial plans that will best fit your schedule and budget! To view pricing and benefits of all available ticket packages.
For more information regarding ticket options, or Norfolk Admirals Hockey, visit NorfolkAdmirals.com or call the Admirals office at (757) 640-1212!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.