Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford
PORTLAND, ME - After almost 300 career games in the ECHL, Mariners defenseman Zach Tolkinen is finally getting a shot at the next level. On Saturday, the Mariners captain was loaned to the Hartford Wolf Pack, giving him his first career chance in the AHL.
The 29-year-old defenseman signed with the Mariners in early July after playing the 2017-18 season under Riley Armstrong with the Wheeling Nailers. Since turning pro in 2014-15, Tolkinen has played for five ECHL teams (Elmira, Missouri, Rapid City, Wheeling, and Maine), suiting up in 293 career games. Known for his stay-at-home defensive style, Tolkinen's best offensive year was his rookie season, when he had five goals and 14 assists with the Elmira Jackals and played in all 72 games. This season for the Mariners, Tolkinen has one goal and ten assists in 29 games.
A native of Lino Lakes, Minnesota, Tolkinen played two seasons at Centennial High School, two in the NAHL for Owatonna and Fairbanks, and four years of Division I hockey at Quinnipiac University before turning pro. On October 11th, 2018, Tolkinen was named the first captain in Mariners franchise history. Alternate captains Terrence Wallin (Hartford) and Scott Savage (Milwaukee) are both also currently on loans in the AHL.
The Mariners are off for the All-Star break, returning to play next Friday, January 25th at the Cross Insurance Arena against the Manchester Monarchs. It's "White Out Night" as fans are encouraged to wear white clothing for a chance to win tickets to the March 8th Stanley Cup Visit when the Mariners host South Carolina. It's also Maine Children's Cancer Night presented by Anthem and local business and non-profit night. All Friday home games feature $1 hot dogs, $2 popcorn, and $3 Bud Lights through the start of the 2nd period. Tickets can be purchased at MarinersofMaine.com or by visiting or calling the Trusted Choice Box Office: 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.