Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (25-12-3) earned back-to-back overtime results, this time with a 4-3 win over the Allen Americans (13-27-4) on Saturday night from CenturyLink Arena in front of 5,259 fans, their eighth shutout of the season and fourth in their last five games.
Unlike last night, the Steelheads and Americans stayed tame through the first period and only one goal stretched across for the second-straight night. At 7:32, Americans forward Dalton Thrower pushed in a rebound to give the road side a 1-0 lead.
The Americans jumped out to a 2-0 lead at 3:45 of the second period with a shorthanded goal by Riley Bourbonnais before the two sides went back and forth. Steelheads forward Alex Dahl earned his first goal of the night at 6:34 on a backhanded shot coming from a rebound, drawing the home side within one, 2-1. Americans forward Brayden Shmyr doubled the advantage again, 3-2, on the power play at 9:55, but Dahl came back with his second of the night at 13:38 on a shot from the right circle to come within one again, 3-2. Steelheads forward Mitch Moroz deflected a shot at 16:22 coming from the right point from forward Elgin Pearce, sending the game into the third period tied at 3-3.
After a scoreless third period, the game was settled in overtime for the second-straight night. After the Steelheads earned a power play in the frame, forward Brad McClure sealed the victory with a shot from the slot at 4:21 and sealed the scoreline at 4-3.
Steelheads netminder Colton Point (4-1-1) turned aside 23 of 26 shots in the win, while Americans goaltender C.J. Motte (11-11-4) halted 37 of 41 shots in the loss. The Steelheads open a nine-game road trip on Monday, Jan. 21 at 1:00 p.m. against the Utah Grizzlies from Maverik Center. Coverage begins at 12:40 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and ECHL TV.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 7:10 p.m. to open a three-game weekend against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.