Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers
WORCESTER, MA - The Worcester Railers HC (17-17-3-2, 39pts) had their four game win streak come to an abrupt end in a 5-1 loss to the visiting first place Newfoundland Growlers (27-11-2-0, 56pts) in front of 4,053 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday evening. The Railers will now enjoy a three-day ECHL All-Star break before returning to action on Friday with a 7p start in Adirondack.
Ivan Kosorenkov scored for Worcester while Mitch Gillam made 36 saves in net for the Railers in the loss. Worcester played with just four defensemen in the final forty minutes as the Railers finished 3-1-0-0 on their four game homestand. Michael Garteig made 22 saves in net for Newfoundland for his 16thwin of the season while Sam Babinstev had three points (1-2-3) to lead the way offensively as the Growlers extended their point streak to eight games with the win.
Ivan Kosorenkov (6th) tied the score for Worcester at 6:09 of the first period but the game changed late in the opening frame after Brady Ferguson threw a late nasty headshot to Tyler Mueller at 18:24 which led to his injury and an ejection to Mike Cornell. Worcester played the rest of the game with just four defensemen which led to goals by the Growlers' Sam Babinstev (9th), Zach O'Brien (15th), Ryan Moore (9th), and Scott Pooley (18th) as Worcester fell on home ice 5-1.
Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star: Connor Doherty (tons of ice time) 2nd star: Zach O'Brien (Goal) 1st star: Sam Babintsev (1-2-3) .... final shots were 41-23 in favor of Newfoundland.... Michael Garteig (16-9-1) made 22 saves on 23 shots for Newfoundland.... Mitch Gillam (11-10-1) made 36 saves on 41 shots for Worcester.... while Evan Buitenhuis served as the backup.... Worcester went 0-for-1 on the power play while Newfoundland went 1-for-2.... Kyle McKenzie (inj), Yanick Turcotte (susp), Nick Roberto, Tommy Panico, and Malcolm Gould (inj) did not dress for Worcester.... Jeff Kubiak, Matty Gaudreau, and Josh Holmstrom are currently on recall with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers...before the game the Railers released defenseman Kevin Hart....captain Mike Cornell was loaned back to the Railers from the Sound Tigers right before the game and received 15 penalty minutes which included a game misconduct....Tyler Mueller left the game at 18:24 of the first period due to injury and Alex Vanier left midway through the third period.... Worcester finished 3-1-0-0 on their four game homestand and 11-7-3-1 on home ice this season.
What's on tap - Home and Home with Thunder!
On Friday, Jan 25 the Railers will visit the Adirondack Thunder at 7pm. Coverage begins at 6:35pm on 98.9 Nash Icon.
On Saturday, Jan 26 the Railers host the Adirondack Thunder at 7pm on a BIG GAME SATURDAY on Social Media Night! Make sure you bring your phones and follow the Railers social media channels for a chance to win some cool prizes and interact throughout the entire game! In addition, it is Diocese of Worcester and Catholic Schools Night. Every Saturday night home game is SATURDAY NIGHT SIGNINGS presented by MidState Auto Group with a Railers player signing autographs during the first intermission.
The Railers Tavern located behind the DCU Center provides hockey fans with a great pregame and postgame atmosphere all season long. Watch all road games broadcast live at Nonna's (FRI, SAT, SUN) or Railers Tavern (MON-THU) or watch on ECHLTV.com for a small fee. Listen to all Railers games live on 98.9 Nash ICON with coverage beginning 30 minutes before puck drop with Eric Lindquist and Tom Matthews. Full season memberships, mini plans, and group tickets are on sale now by calling the Railers front office at 508-365-1750 or by visiting www.RailersHC.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Worcester Railers HC Stories
- Worcester Railers HC Acquire Defenseman Jake Bolton
- Worcester Railers Crush Thunder 5-1 in Front of 8,137 Fans at DCU Center
- The Worcester Railers HC Announce 2019-20 Opening Night Roster
- Worcester Railers Announce Opening Night Festivities for October 12
- Railers Take Down Mariners 4-1 in Lone Tune up Before Regular Season