'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win
RAPID CITY, S.D. - Four different players found the back of the net and Jeremy Helvig turned aside 25 shots to lead the Florida Everblades to a 5-1 win over the Rapid City Rush on Saturday night at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center.
On the heels of just their third regulation loss since the start of December, the 'Blades (28-8-5-0, 61 pts.) scored twice in the first period and got a two-goal night from Joe Cox to earn four of six possible points against Rapid City (16-22-2-3, 37 pts.).
Tommy Thompson got the 'Blades offense going early with their first goal in an opening period of the weekend. Despite being the only player in the offensive zone on the forecheck, Thompson managed to get the puck deep to start the scoring sequence. Then, later in the play, Thompson got a feed from defenseman Matt Finn in the left circle, angled to the front of the net along the goal line and beat Rapid City goaltender Adam Carlson with a backhand shot at the right side of the crease.
Florida doubled the lead later in the opening period thanks to a gratuitous bounce in the offensive end. Off a pass from Derek Sheppard, Nathan Perkovich let a shot go from behind the far goal line that pinballed off bodies in front and slipped past Carlson to make it 2-0 with 4:45 left in the first.
Kyle Platzer then moved the lead to three with a shorthanded goal with less than four minutes to play in the middle frame. On a two-on-one rush with Blake Winiecki, Platzer slowed as he crossed the line and fed the puck to Winiecki between the circles. Winiecki returned the feed, and Platzer then put it top shelf on Carlson.
Rapid City finally broke through against Helvig with a shot from Riley Weselowski that popped high into the air and trickled past Helvig 2:23 into the third.
But Florida bounced right back to go up by three again on the first of the night for Cox. From the right corner, Michael Neville sent a pass to the back post for Cox, who tipped it past Carlson in one motion only 67 seconds after Rapid City had scored.
Cox then capped the scoring off another remarkable feed from Neville to give him his fourth multi-goal game of the season. Neville slipped a no-look feed to the top of the crease for Cox, and Cox immediately snapped it home for his 17th goal of the season.
With the win, Helvig extended his personal win streak to 10 games, a streak that dates back to Dec. 5, 2018.
Florida returns home this coming weekend to start a stretch of three straight games against the Jacksonville Icemen. Faceoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. on Friday night at Hertz Arena.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Stingrays Withstand Everblades' Comeback to Win Series Finale
- Winiecki's Two-Goal Game Leads 'Blades to Eighth Straight Win
- Clutch Callum: Booth Leads 'Blades to 2-1 Shootout Win
- Everblades Add Mercyhurst University Captain Lammon
- Road Warriors: 'Blades Outlast Solar Bears in Shootout Victory