Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy
Indianapolis, IN - The Cincinnati Cyclones (26-7-3-3) collected a 4-3 shootout win over the Indy Fuel on Saturday night. Forwards Alex Wideman, Justin Vaive, and Spencer Dorowicz tallied the goals for Cincinnati, while Mike Marnell netted the lone marker in the shootout.
The Cyclones drew first blood 4:04 into the first when Wideman rifled a shot through traffic from the high slot and in to put Cincinnati on top, 1-0. After the Fuel tied the game, 1-1, on a power play goal from forward Matt Rupert 34 seconds later, Cincinnati regained the lead at the 6:00 mark when a shot from Marnell was kicked out, but Vaive was in front to bang in the rebound to put the 'Clones back on top, 2-1.
Cincinnati tacked on one more before the end of the frame when defenseman Arvin Atwal threw a centering pass in front, and Dorowicz redirected the puck past Fuel goaltender Matt Tomkins to put Cincinnati out front, 3-1, through 20 minutes.
In the second, Indy cut the Cyclones lead to 3-2 when forward Logan Nelson lit the lamp on the power play, and in the third Indy tied the game, 3-3, when forward Ryan Rupert scored 2:47 in. The teams traded quality scoring chances throughout the remainder of the third, however neither side was able to find the back of the net and the game headed to overtime.
In the extra session, the sides continued to trade scoring chances, and the Cyclones survived a two-minute penalty to keep the game even, 3-3, into the shootout. In the skills competition, Marnell scored the only goal for either side to send Cincinnati to a 4-3 shootout win. The 'Clones outshot Indy, 35-33 on the evening, with goaltender Michael Houser steering aside 30 in the win. The teams wrap up their home-and-home on Sunday afternoon at U.S. Bank Arena. Face-off is scheduled for 3:05pm ET.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, a nd the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride!Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.