Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC
Wichita, KS - Dylan Wells stopped all 27 shots he faced, Mark MacMillan had three helpers and the Thunder knocked off Kansas City on Friday night by the final of 4-0 at INTRUST Bank Arena.
Wells earns his first shutout in a Thunder uniform while Keoni Texeira and Jeremy Beaudry each recorded two points.
The win helps the Thunder move into a fourth-place tie with the Mavericks and snaps an eight-game winless skid.
In his first game back since early December, Stefan Fournier made an immediate impact. He had a great first shift and was rewarded with his fifth goal of the season at 1:25. He found a loose puck near the high slot, cut through the middle and beat Nick Schneider to make it 1-0. At the three-minute mark, Steven Iacobellis tipped home a shot from Gabriel Verpaelst to increase the lead to 2-0.
Jesse Gabrielle gave the Thunder a 3-0 advantage early in the second on the power play. He caught a pass from MacMillan and slid it past Schneider for his ninth of the season.
Wichita was shorthanded for much of the third period, but did a great job of limiting Kansas City's power play. The Thunder started the frame with a three-minute penalty to kill and also had a five-minute major called on Ryan Van Stralen for charging. The Mavericks finished 0-for-9 on the man advantage.
Keoni Texeira scored at 8:39 of the third to increase the lead to 4-0 off a great feed from MacMillan.
Wells grabs his first ECHL shutout and second of his career. MacMillan had three assists to the lead the way upfront while Texeira (1g, 1a) and Beaudry (2a) had two points.
The Thunder travels to Kansas City tomorrow night to close the weekend set starting at 7:05 p.m.
Individual tickets for all games are on sale now. Season tickets are still available for purchase. Get your seats for just $15 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.