Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC
Independence, MO - Mark MacMillan scored twice, including the game-winner in overtime, to push Wichita past Kansas City in a wild 6-5 victory on Saturday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
The win moves the Thunder alone into fourth place with 42 points.
MacMillan finished with three points and was a +4 while Ralph Cuddemi had two helpers in the winning effort.
Wichita got on the board first as Keoni Texeira caught a pass off the rush and beat Nick Schneider to make it 1-0. Kansas City tied it just over three minutes later as C.J. Eick beat Dylan Wells with a wrist shot from the slot. At 16:39, Darian Dziurzynski gave the Mavericks a 2-1 lead as the Mavericks stole the puck off a face-off and he found himself in front of the net with a loose puck.
In the second, Darian Dziurzynski scored his second of the game on the power play as he fired a one-timer from his brother, David, and beat Wells at 2:12. Jared VanWormer scored at 4:43 to increase the lead to 4-1. Wichita scored the next two in the frame. Stefan Fournier cut the lead to 4-2 with a wrap-around goal at 7:13. Iacobellis potted his 15th of the year during a shorthanded two-on-none break to cut the lead to 4-3.
MacMillan tied the game at 9:07 of the third as he wrapped it to the left post past Schneider for his 12th of the season. Pierre-Cedric Labrie gave Wichita its second lead of the night at 17:19 as he caught a pass through the goal mouth to make it 5-4. Darian Dziurzynski notched the game-tying goal and his third of the evening at 19:15 that sent the game to overtime.
In the extra session, Wells made two tough saves on chances from Greg Betzold and Joey Sides. MacMillan recorded the game-winner at 3:13 as he found some space through the Mavericks zone and beat Schneider for the win.
Wichita earned its first overtime win of the season. MacMillan finished the weekend with six points (2g, 4a) in two games. Fournier and Labrie each finished with a goal and an assist. Texeira netted three points (1g, 2a).
The Thunder enters the All-Star Break this coming week and will resume action on Saturday, January 26th against the Idaho Steelheads at 7:05 p.m.
Individual tickets for all games are on sale now. Season tickets are still available for purchase. Get your seats for just $15 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.