Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2
RAPID CITY, S.D. - The Rapid City Rush scored the final two goals of the game, including the game-winning tally with 18 seconds left regulation, to upend the Florida Everblades, 3-2, on Friday night at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center.
Florida (27-8-5-0, 59 pts.) took a 2-1 lead just three minutes, 54 seconds into the third period, but Rapid City (16-21-2-3, 37 pts.) got a power-play goal from Garrett Klotz to tie the game and the game-winning score from Justin Faryna to halt the 'Blades five-game winning streak.
With just four seconds left on their first power play of the night, the Rush found the back of the net to open the scoring. Standing at the right point, Chris Leibinger received a pass from Brayden Sherbinin and beat Florida goaltender Jamie Phillips with a shot upstairs at the 9:56 mark of the opening frame.
Matt Finn pulled the 'Blades even with the only goal of the second period. John McCarron started the rush out of Florida's defensive zone and located Mitch Vandergunst in the neutral zone. After Vandergunst fed it to Blake Winiecki at the left wing, Winiecki immediately dropped it back for Finn at the left point. Finn then hammered a slap shot over the glove of Rapid City netminder Adam Carlson with five minutes, 29 seconds gone in period two.
Shane Walsh put Florida ahead in the early stages of the third period, deflecting Logan Roe's shot from the right point to make it a 2-1 lead less than four minutes into the third.
But on the Rush's third power play of the game, Klotz pulled Rapid City even by finding the puck at the side of the net on a net-mouth scramble and shovelling it past Phillips.
Alec Baer helped create the game-winning sequence from the far goal line and located Faryna crashing the net at the top of the crease. Off a feed from Baer, Faryna lifted the puck over Phillips to send Rapid City to its first home win since Dec. 21.
Phillips stopped 21 shots and suffered just his fourth loss of the season, while Carlson made 30 saves in the win.
Florida will go for the series victory in the finale of the three-game set on Saturday night at 9:05 p.m. ET.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Defenseman Fortunato Assigned to Florida by NHL's Predators
- 'Blades Weekly: One Sweep Down; Home Opener on the Horizon
- Two for Tanner: Jeannot's Two Strikes Help 'Blades Sweep Norfolk
- Opening Statement: 'Blades Top Admirals 4-3 to Pick up First Win
- Everblades Announce 2019-20 Season-Opening Roster