Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory
GREENVILLE, SC - The Gladiators took the ice once again with the Swamp Rabbits just 24 hours after defeating Greenville 3-0 the night prior looking for their four straight win. Goals from the most unlikely of heroes, Joe Widmar and Jake Flegel gave the Glads the advantage and Sean Bonar was incredible in net once again winning his fifth straight start as Atlanta earned the weekend sweep of the Swamp Rabbits with a 2-1 victory.
The home team came out of the gates strong and put on heavy pressure in the early minutes, however Atlanta goaltender "Bones' Bonar stood tall and kept the Swamp Rabbits from an early tally. The Gladiators then used the momentum gained from Bonar's strong play to get on the board first. With just over two minutes remaining in the opening period, Nick Bligh stole the puck on the near-side boards and skated it into the offensive zone. Once the Massachusetts native ran out of space, he found Widmar open at the front of the net who then tapped the puck into the goal for his first ever ECHL goal and it came against his former team.
Atlanta then doubled their lead at the 13:22 mark of the second period. Brett McKenzie fought for possession deep in the Greenville zone and came out of the corner with the puck. The former Vancouver Canucks draft pick then lifted a pass to Jake Flegel at the point. The fourth year defenseman rattled off a shot through traffic that sailed over the shoulder of Garrett Bartus to give the Gladiators a 2-0 lead.
The Gladiators could not hold the Swamp Rabbits off forever though, as the home team struck back with just 2:38 remaining in the middle frame. Johno May had the puck bounce to his stick in the near-side circle and wristed a shot towards net. Bonar was able to get the first save on the play, however, Brendan Harms picked up the rebound to the right of the netminder and slid a shot into the open net for his ninth goal of the year.
Greenville sent 13 shots on net in the third as they desperately tried to tie the game. Bonar had other ideas and stopped all 13 shots and the visitors held on for their fifth win in their last five games.
The Gladiators will have a day of rest tomorrow before they return home on Monday afternoon to take on the on the Jacksonville Icemen at the Infinite Energy Arena. The puck drops at 12:35pm for Atlanta's annual MLK day game on January 21st.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 19, 2019
- Steelheads Take Second OT Thriller over Americans, 4-3 - Idaho Steelheads
- Thunder Wins OT Thriller in KC - Wichita Thunder
- Grizzlies Snap Oilers Streak in Finale - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Race Past Rush to Earn Series Win - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Surge Past Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Earn Shootout Win against Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Erase Early Deficit, Earn Point in Shootout Loss to Cyclones - Indy Fuel
- Mavericks Drop Back and Forth OT Battle to Wichita, 6-5 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Admirals Pretty in Pink with 6-1 Win over IceMen - Norfolk Admirals
- LeBlanc Leads Solar Bears to 7-4 Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- K-Wings Take Shootout Victory on Gagnon's Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Home Point Streak Ends with 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Adirondack Thunder
- Growlers Beat the Railers, 5-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Shorthanded Railers Fall 5-1 to Growlers - Worcester Railers HC
- Glads Complete Weekend Sweep of Greenville and Move Win Streak to Four with 2-1 Victory - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nailers Crown Royals on Late Shorthanded Goal - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - January 20 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: IceMen at Admirals, January 19, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers at Royals Game Day Snap Shot, January 19 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day in Boise - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Indy Fuel - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Saturday's Everblades Game to Air on 99.3 ESPN - Florida Everblades
- Tolkinen Loaned to Hartford - Maine Mariners
- Thunder Concludes Home-And-Home Tonight vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Kalamazoo Wings Important Pre-Game Information, January 19, 2018 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Jersey Retirement, Alumni Game Highlight 45th Anniversary Game - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Royals Host Nailers in Final Game Before All-Star Break - Reading Royals
- Americans Earn a Point in Overtime Loss - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Outlast Americans in Wild 3-2 Overtime Finish - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 7-3 Tulsa Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Tulsa Defeats Utah 7-3 - Utah Grizzlies
- Wells, MacMillan Pace Thunder in Shutout Win vs. KC - Wichita Thunder
- Oilers Win Sixth Straight in Rout of Grizzlies - Tulsa Oilers
- Late Strike Sends Rush Past Everblades, 3-2 - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Atlanta Improves Point Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Home Win over the Admirals
- Atlanta Earns Huge Point as They Fall to Everblades in Shootout
- Atlanta Erases Three Goal Deficit and Takes Win in Epic 11-Round Shootout
- Former NHLer Jared Ross Re-Signs with Atlanta
- Gladiators and Georgia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce to Host MLS VIP Experience