IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville
JACKSONVILLE, FL - Chase Lang's goal at 1:37 of overtime lifted the Jacksonville Icemen to 4-3 victory over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits at Veterans Memorial Arena Friday night. The Icemen extended their win streak to five games which ties a club record for longest win streak in team history.
Following a scoreless first and some clutch saves by Jacksonville Icemen goaltender Adam Carlson, the Icemen finally broke the ice on the scoring at 13:04 of the second period.
Rookie Bobby Lynch snapped a shot from the left circle that was initially stopped by Greenville netminder Jeremy Helvig. However, the rebound bounced to the slot and Wacey Rabbit scooped up the puck and curled a backhanded shot into the net to put Jacksonville on top 1-0.
After a low-scoring first 40 minutes of play, the two teams combined for three goals in a 1:15 span early in the third period.
The first came when Bobby Lynch tipped and redirected a Chase Harrison shot from the point to put the Icemen in front by a 2-0 count.
Greenville countered just 37-seconds later, when Kamerin Nault skated to the low slot, collected a pass, and cut a backhanded shot at full speed around Carlson to pull the Swamp Rabbits within one
However, the Icemen quickly responded 38-seconds later. When newcomer Zach Hall kicked the puck to his backhand and flipped a pass across the slow to a wide-open Craig Martin. Martin gathered the puck and shoved it into the net for the goal to give the Icemen the 3-1 edge.
Greenville pulled back within one on a power play strike from Cedric Lacroix who scored off the rebound from a Brian Diffley shot.
Despite being outhsot 17-10 in the third period, the Swamp Rabbits refused to go away, and netted the game-tying goal with nearly two and a half minutes remaining in regulation. Mike Pelech centered a feed to the slot to Liam Pecararo who tapped the puck high over the shoulder of Carlson to even the game at three to force overtime.
The Icemen received a power play opportunity in the extra session when Greenville's Cedric Lacroix was assessed a charging penalty. On the ensuing power play, Chase Lang held the puck at the half boards and was given a lot of space on the left wing. Lang skated to the circle and snapped a shot that clipped into the shortside of the Greenville net to secure the game 4-3 victory for Jacksonville.
The Icemen continue their four-game homestand on Saturday when they face the Adirondack Thunder. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m. Saturday is Hockey Registers to Vote Night! Fans will be able to register to vote, while the Icemen will wear special patriotic/go vote themed jerseys that will be auctioned following the game.
Broadcast Information: Fans can catch all game broadcasts at www.mixlr.com/jaxicemen
Upcoming Home Game & Promotions
Sunday, February 16, vs. South Carolina, 3:00 p.m. - Publix Family Fundays! The Icemen will wear special Publix Jerseys, and fans will be invited down to the ice following the game.
Wednesday, February 19 vs. Worcester, 7:00 p.m. - Fans can enjoy $2 select beer & wine throughout the night!
Flexible ticket packages and discounted group tickets are on sale now. Contact 904-602-7825 for more information.
The 2019-20 Jacksonville Icemen Season is Presented by Community First Credit Union.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 14, 2020
- Oilers Dominate Thunder on Valentine's Day Thanks to Ian McNulty Hat Trick - Tulsa Oilers
- Hensick Scores a Pair, But Walleye Fall to Wings in OT - Toledo Walleye
- Sol Train: 'Blades Down Gladiators to Push Home Point Streak to Seven - Florida Everblades
- No Love for Swamp Rabbits in OT Loss to Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 at Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Fucale, May Lead Solar Bears to 4-0 Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Oilers Skate Past Wichita, 7-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Weekend Set against Utah, 5-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Get Sweet Ending with Valentine's Day Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Komets Erupt in Third Period to Overpower the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Tough Love for Gladiators on Valentine's Day - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Opener of Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lots of Hearts for the Nailers in 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Curti's Late Goal Earns Thunder Point in Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals' Valentine's Day Sweetness Is 3-1 Win at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Growlers Capture ECHL History - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Can't Stop Growlers Win Streak in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 14 - ECHL
- Forward Luke Nogard Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Try to Push Home Point Streak to Seven on Friday - Florida Everblades
- John McCarron Signs PTO with AHL's Stockton Heat - Florida Everblades
- Royals Add Beer Fest to Fri., February 21 Game - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Celebrate 40th Anniversary of 'Miracle on Ice' February 23 - Maine Mariners
- Komets Host Indy Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, February 14, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Road Trip Continues Tonight in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Kansas City. February 14, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Royals Lead Beast by 2 Points for 2nd Place - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville IceMen Stories
- Tim Tebow, Myles Jack & Reggie Hayward Join IceMen Ownership Team
- IceMen Bolster Forward Corps with Mike Szmatula
- IceMen Ink Rookies Derek Lodermeier & Jacob Panetta
- IceMen Add Former Kelly Cup Champion Matt Marquardt
- IceMen Add High-Scoring Forward Eric Neiley