IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville
JACKSONVILLE, FL - Chase Lang's goal at 1:37 of overtime lifted the Jacksonville Icemen to 4-3 victory over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits at Veterans Memorial Arena Friday night. The Icemen extended their win streak to five games which ties a club record for longest win streak in team history.
Following a scoreless first and some clutch saves by Jacksonville Icemen goaltender Adam Carlson, the Icemen finally broke the ice on the scoring at 13:04 of the second period.
Rookie Bobby Lynch snapped a shot from the left circle that was initially stopped by Greenville netminder Jeremy Helvig. However, the rebound bounced to the slot and Wacey Rabbit scooped up the puck and curled a backhanded shot into the net to put Jacksonville on top 1-0.
After a low-scoring first 40 minutes of play, the two teams combined for three goals in a 1:15 span early in the third period.
The first came when Bobby Lynch tipped and redirected a Chase Harrison shot from the point to put the Icemen in front by a 2-0 count.
Greenville countered just 37-seconds later, when Kamerin Nault skated to the low slot, collected a pass, and cut a backhanded shot at full speed around Carlson to pull the Swamp Rabbits within one
However, the Icemen quickly responded 38-seconds later. When newcomer Zach Hall kicked the puck to his backhand and flipped a pass across the slow to a wide-open Craig Martin. Martin gathered the puck and shoved it into the net for the goal to give the Icemen the 3-1 edge.
Greenville pulled back within one on a power play strike from Cedric Lacroix who scored off the rebound from a Brian Diffley shot.
Despite being outhsot 17-10 in the third period, the Swamp Rabbits refused to go away, and netted the game-tying goal with nearly two and a half minutes remaining in regulation. Mike Pelech centered a feed to the slot to Liam Pecararo who tapped the puck high over the shoulder of Carlson to even the game at three to force overtime.
The Icemen received a power play opportunity in the extra session when Greenville's Cedric Lacroix was assessed a charging penalty. On the ensuing power play, Chase Lang held the puck at the half boards and was given a lot of space on the left wing. Lang skated to the circle and snapped a shot that clipped into the shortside of the Greenville net to secure the game 4-3 victory for Jacksonville.
The Icemen continue their four-game homestand on Saturday when they face the Adirondack Thunder. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m. Saturday is Hockey Registers to Vote Night! Fans will be able to register to vote, while the Icemen will wear special patriotic/go vote themed jerseys that will be auctioned following the game.
Broadcast Information: Fans can catch all game broadcasts at www.mixlr.com/jaxicemen
Upcoming Home Game & Promotions
Sunday, February 16, vs. South Carolina, 3:00 p.m. - Publix Family Fundays! The Icemen will wear special Publix Jerseys, and fans will be invited down to the ice following the game.
Wednesday, February 19 vs. Worcester, 7:00 p.m. - Fans can enjoy $2 select beer & wine throughout the night!
Flexible ticket packages and discounted group tickets are on sale now. Contact 904-602-7825 for more information.
The 2019-20 Jacksonville Icemen Season is Presented by Community First Credit Union.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 14, 2020
- Oilers Dominate Thunder on Valentine's Day Thanks to Ian McNulty Hat Trick - Tulsa Oilers
- Hensick Scores a Pair, But Walleye Fall to Wings in OT - Toledo Walleye
- Sol Train: 'Blades Down Gladiators to Push Home Point Streak to Seven - Florida Everblades
- No Love for Swamp Rabbits in OT Loss to Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 at Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Fucale, May Lead Solar Bears to 4-0 Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Oilers Skate Past Wichita, 7-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Weekend Set against Utah, 5-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Get Sweet Ending with Valentine's Day Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Komets Erupt in Third Period to Overpower the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Tough Love for Gladiators on Valentine's Day - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Opener of Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lots of Hearts for the Nailers in 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Curti's Late Goal Earns Thunder Point in Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals' Valentine's Day Sweetness Is 3-1 Win at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Growlers Capture ECHL History - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Can't Stop Growlers Win Streak in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 14 - ECHL
- Forward Luke Nogard Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Try to Push Home Point Streak to Seven on Friday - Florida Everblades
- John McCarron Signs PTO with AHL's Stockton Heat - Florida Everblades
- Royals Add Beer Fest to Fri., February 21 Game - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Celebrate 40th Anniversary of 'Miracle on Ice' February 23 - Maine Mariners
- Komets Host Indy Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, February 14, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Road Trip Continues Tonight in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Kansas City. February 14, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Royals Lead Beast by 2 Points for 2nd Place - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.