No Love for Swamp Rabbits in OT Loss to Jacksonville
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - After battling back with a dominant three-goal third period, the Swamp Rabbits fell to the Jacksonville Icemen in a heartbreaking 4-3 Valentine's Day loss in overtime at the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena.
Neither team was able to get on the board in the first period. Both teams had close chances, but nothing was getting past the netminders on either end of the ice.
Wacey Rabbit opened the scoring seven minutes into the second period after flinging the puck past Jeremy Helvig and into the net on a rebound after a scramble by the net at 13:04 mark.
The Icemen received the opportunity to add another tally on the board later in the period when Bobby Lynch was awarded a penalty shot, but Lynch shot the puck wide, and the Swamp Rabbits trailed by one for the rest of the second period.
Compared to the first two periods, the scoreboard filled up in the third period, with each team flying across the ice from puck drop. Early in the third period, Lynch made up for his failed penalty shot a period earlier and slid the puck past Helvig at the 1:10 mark.
Kamerin Nault silenced the Jacksonville crowd thirty-seven seconds later and put Greenville on the board off a feed from Liam Pecararo, making the score 2-1.
The Icemen responded right back less than a minute later with a goal from Craig Martin that looked to be goalie interference. Head coach Kevin Kerr challenged, but the call stood, and the Swamp Rabbits trailed by two again.
Luke Shiplo shot the puck over the glass and into the stands, and was sent for the box for two minutes, but Cédric Lacroix only needed a minute to give the Swamp Rabbits new life and bring the score back within one.
The score remained 3-2 until Liam Pecararo broke the hearts of every Jacksonville fan and tied the game with a goal. After successfully killing a penalty in the final minutes of the third period, the score remained tied and the game went to overtime.
Forty-seven seconds into overtime, Lacroix got called for charging after running into goaltender Adam Carlson. Chase Lang ended the game fifty seconds later with a snipe off a pass from Mike Hedden at the 1:37 mark of overtime.
Despite a strong comeback and three-goal third period, the Swamp Rabbits were bogged down by penalties at the worst moments but were able to come away with a standings point. The Swamp Rabbits travel to Charleston to take on the Stingrays on Saturday, February 15 at 6:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 14, 2020
- Oilers Dominate Thunder on Valentine's Day Thanks to Ian McNulty Hat Trick - Tulsa Oilers
- Hensick Scores a Pair, But Walleye Fall to Wings in OT - Toledo Walleye
- Sol Train: 'Blades Down Gladiators to Push Home Point Streak to Seven - Florida Everblades
- No Love for Swamp Rabbits in OT Loss to Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 at Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Fucale, May Lead Solar Bears to 4-0 Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Oilers Skate Past Wichita, 7-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Weekend Set against Utah, 5-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Get Sweet Ending with Valentine's Day Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Komets Erupt in Third Period to Overpower the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Tough Love for Gladiators on Valentine's Day - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Opener of Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lots of Hearts for the Nailers in 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Curti's Late Goal Earns Thunder Point in Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals' Valentine's Day Sweetness Is 3-1 Win at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Growlers Capture ECHL History - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Can't Stop Growlers Win Streak in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 14 - ECHL
- Forward Luke Nogard Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Try to Push Home Point Streak to Seven on Friday - Florida Everblades
- John McCarron Signs PTO with AHL's Stockton Heat - Florida Everblades
- Royals Add Beer Fest to Fri., February 21 Game - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Celebrate 40th Anniversary of 'Miracle on Ice' February 23 - Maine Mariners
- Komets Host Indy Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, February 14, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Road Trip Continues Tonight in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Kansas City. February 14, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Royals Lead Beast by 2 Points for 2nd Place - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Swamp Rabbits Release 2020 Training Camp Roster
- Single Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Swamp Rabbits Align with Florida Panthers, Remain Partnered with Charlotte Checkers
- Dynamic Forward Liam Pecararo Rejoins for '20-21
- Swamp Rabbits Ink Goaltender John Lethemon