Cyclones Fall in Opener of Homestand
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones (29-14-7-1) dropped a 5-3 decision to the Wheeling Nailers on Friday night. Forwards Ben Johnson, Brady Vail, and Jesse Schultz scored the goals for the 'Clones.
After the Nailers took a 1-0 lead just 47 seconds in on a goal from forward Renars Krastenbergs, Cincinnati evened the contest at the 12:16 mark when Johnson hammered home a shot to even the game, 1-1. A little more than two minutes later, the Nailers power play gave Wheeling the lead back when forward Alec Butcher beat Cyclones netminder Jamie Phillips to put Wheeling back up, 2-1.
The momentum was short-lived, as with 57 seconds remaining in the period Cincinnati responded with a power play goal of their own when Vail took a pass from defenseman Justin Baudry and blasted a shot in from the left side to re-tie the game, 2-2, after 20 minutes.
In the second the Nailers turned up the offense and exploded for three goals from forwards Yushiroh Hirano, Nick Saracino, and Cam Brown, to skate out to a 5-2 lead after two periods.
The Cyclones turned the tide in the third period, outshooting Wheeling 17-6 in the period. Cincinnati cut their deficit to a pair 5:25 into the fame when Schultz took a pass from forward Justin Vaive following a face-off win by Johnson, and he spun a shot in past Wheeling goaltender Alex D'Orio to trim the deficit to 5-3.
Cincinnati kept peppering the Nailer net with shots, however D'Orio remained perfect throughout the remainder of the frame to preserve the 5-23 Wheeling win. The Cyclones outshot the Nailers, 31-29, Phillips stopping 24 in the loss.
The Cyclones welcome in the Indy Fuel on Saturday night, with the face-off set for 7:35pm ET.
The 2019-20 Cincinnati Cyclones season is upon us! The defending Brabham Cup champion Cyclones are looking to build off of last season's success, and we invite YOU to join us for the ride! Single game tickets, along with season and group ticket packages for every game this season are on sale now, and you can get more info by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 14, 2020
- Oilers Dominate Thunder on Valentine's Day Thanks to Ian McNulty Hat Trick - Tulsa Oilers
- Hensick Scores a Pair, But Walleye Fall to Wings in OT - Toledo Walleye
- Sol Train: 'Blades Down Gladiators to Push Home Point Streak to Seven - Florida Everblades
- No Love for Swamp Rabbits in OT Loss to Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 at Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Fucale, May Lead Solar Bears to 4-0 Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville - Jacksonville Icemen
- Oilers Skate Past Wichita, 7-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Weekend Set against Utah, 5-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Get Sweet Ending with Valentine's Day Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Komets Erupt in Third Period to Overpower the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Tough Love for Gladiators on Valentine's Day - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Opener of Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lots of Hearts for the Nailers in 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Curti's Late Goal Earns Thunder Point in Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals' Valentine's Day Sweetness Is 3-1 Win at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Growlers Capture ECHL History - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Can't Stop Growlers Win Streak in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 14 - ECHL
- Forward Luke Nogard Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Try to Push Home Point Streak to Seven on Friday - Florida Everblades
- John McCarron Signs PTO with AHL's Stockton Heat - Florida Everblades
- Royals Add Beer Fest to Fri., February 21 Game - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Celebrate 40th Anniversary of 'Miracle on Ice' February 23 - Maine Mariners
- Komets Host Indy Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, February 14, 2020 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Road Trip Continues Tonight in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Kansas City. February 14, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Royals Lead Beast by 2 Points for 2nd Place - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.