Growlers Capture ECHL History
The Newfoundland Growlers won an ECHL Record 19th straight game on home-ice 5-1 on Friday night against the Maine Mariners. The former record was held by the South Carolina Stingrays, who won 18 straight games at the North Charleston Coliseum between Dec. 23, 1994, and March 19, 1995.
The Growlers' last home-ice loss was Oct. 19, when they dropped a 7-5 decision to the Brampton Beast in the final game of a five-game season-opening homestand.
Riley Woods opened the scoring halfway through the first period, beating Mariners goalie Conner LaCouvee with a crafty individual effort. Growlers defenseman Tommy Panico added to the Growlers lead with his third of the season 3 minutes later. Maine only registered 3 shots on Growlers starting netminder Parker Gahagen in the first period.
Todd Skirving put the Growlers up by three just seven minutes into the second period on a play set up by Riley Woods. Maine responded to the Skirving goal with a tally of their own from Conner Bleackley on a shot that pinballed past Parker Gahagen. Evan Neugold restored the three-goal advantage late in the second with a blast from the blue line.
The Growlers drew a late-game 5-on-3 powerplay and Zach O'Brien made his one-timer chance count extending the Growlers lead to 5-1. Maine tried to play a more physical game in the third period but that resulted in Mariner Mikael Robidoux getting tossed for roughing and abuse of an official as the Growlers stood tall to secure the historic 5-1 victory.
Parker Gahagen stopped 25 shots in the victory
The three stars were 3 - T. Skriving (NFL), 2 - R. Woods (NFL) and 1 - E. Neugold (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their four-game homestand versus the Maine Mariners tomorrow night a Mile One Centre. Puck drop is 7:00 p.m. Newfoundland time. Tickets are on sale now at the Mile One Centre box office or at www.mileonecentre.com.
Newfoundland Growlers (36-11-0-1) Vs. Maine Mariners (27-21-2-1)
Friday, February 14th - Mile One Centre - St. John's
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
0 - 1 1 1st NFL 10:30 R. Woods (12) V 6 8 16 18 92 H 6 8 13 22 45
0 - 2 2 1st NFL 13:38 T. Panico (3) E. Neugold, B. Ferguson V 13 18 24 27 92 H 4 8 13 15 22
0 - 3 3 2nd NFL 7:43 T. Skirving (3) R. Woods V 13 21 24 27 32 H 4 8 13 15 22
1 - 3 4 2nd MNE 12:02 C. Bleackley (6) D. Fox V 6 8 13 21 32 H 6 13 22 43 45
1 - 4 5 2nd NFL 18:38 E. Neugold (8) T. Skirving V 23 24 27 32 92 H 4 8 10 15 45
1 - 5 6 3rd NFL 13:34 Z. O'Brien (17) B. Ferguson, A. Luchuk PP V 22 27 92 H 10 14 17 22 26
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 14, 2020
- Oilers Dominate Thunder on Valentine's Day Thanks to Ian McNulty Hat Trick - Tulsa Oilers
- Hensick Scores a Pair, But Walleye Fall to Wings in OT - Toledo Walleye
- Sol Train: 'Blades Down Gladiators to Push Home Point Streak to Seven - Florida Everblades
- No Love for Swamp Rabbits in OT Loss to Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 at Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Fucale, May Lead Solar Bears to 4-0 Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Oilers Skate Past Wichita, 7-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Weekend Set against Utah, 5-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Get Sweet Ending with Valentine's Day Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Komets Erupt in Third Period to Overpower the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Tough Love for Gladiators on Valentine's Day - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Opener of Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lots of Hearts for the Nailers in 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Curti's Late Goal Earns Thunder Point in Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals' Valentine's Day Sweetness Is 3-1 Win at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Growlers Capture ECHL History - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Can't Stop Growlers Win Streak in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 14 - ECHL
- Forward Luke Nogard Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Try to Push Home Point Streak to Seven on Friday - Florida Everblades
- John McCarron Signs PTO with AHL's Stockton Heat - Florida Everblades
- Royals Add Beer Fest to Fri., February 21 Game - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Celebrate 40th Anniversary of 'Miracle on Ice' February 23 - Maine Mariners
- Komets Host Indy Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, February 14, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Road Trip Continues Tonight in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Kansas City. February 14, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Royals Lead Beast by 2 Points for 2nd Place - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.