Rays Get Sweet Ending with Valentine's Day Win
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Andrew Cherniwchan scored twice, including the game-winner in overtime to give the South Carolina Stingrays (36-10-3-1) a 4-3 victory over the Adirondack Thunder (18-22-7-5) on Valentine's Day Friday night at the North Charleston Coliseum.
Forward Branden Troock had a multi-point night for the second straight game, picking up two assists, while defenders Kristofers Bindulis and Jaynen Rissling also scored goals for the Rays in the win. Goaltender Logan Thompson turned aside 33 shots to record his 19th victory of the year.
Cherniwchan now leads the first-place Stingrays with 23 goals on the season, which is also good for 5th-most in the ECHL.
Bindulis got the scoring started at 16:01 of the opening period with his fifth goal of the season from Troock and Matthew Weis to make it 1-0. It was the second straight contest with a goal for the blueliner from Riga, Latvia, who now has points in eight of his last nine games.
The Thunder came out strong in the second and scored twice in the first three minutes to take a 2-1 lead. Conor Riley evened the game at 1:37 of the middle frame, while Ara Nazarian gave Adirondack the advantage with a strike at 2:39.
But Cherniwchan tied things back up at 2-2 by scoring his first of the game at 6:53 with a quick wrist shot from the left wall that beat Adirondack goaltender Evan Cormier.
At the start of the third, with the game still even, SC successfully killed off a two-man advantage for the Thunder after consecutive penalties were whistled to forward Cole Ully for high sticking and defenseman Eddie Wittchow for delay of game.
Rissling then gave the Rays a 3-2 lead by following up an initial shot by Troock and getting his stick on the rebound to score his third goal of the season at 12:40 of the third. The second assist on the strike went to Ully.
But the Thunder weren't out of it and tied the game by converting on the second 5-on-3 advantage of the period after back-to-back penalties were called on Cherniwchan for hooking and forward Tim Harrison for cross-checking. Charlie Curti found the equalizer at 17:20 to even the game at 3-3.
After the contest extended into overtime, Cherniwchan took a feed from forward Max Novak and beat Cormier with a shot from the slot at 2:27 of OT to give the Stingrays the victory. A second assist on the play came from defender Tom Parisi.
Adirondack finished with a 1-for-6 mark on the power play, while SC was 0-for-2 on the man-advantage. The Thunder outshot the Rays 36-33 overall in the contest. Cormier made 29 saves and took the loss for Adirondack.
South Carolina will host the Greenville Swamp Rabbits on Saturday for Superman Night at 6:05 p.m. at the North Charleston Coliseum.
- Tickets for all of the team's upcoming 2019-20 home contests are on sale now via Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 14, 2020
- Oilers Dominate Thunder on Valentine's Day Thanks to Ian McNulty Hat Trick - Tulsa Oilers
- Hensick Scores a Pair, But Walleye Fall to Wings in OT - Toledo Walleye
- Sol Train: 'Blades Down Gladiators to Push Home Point Streak to Seven - Florida Everblades
- No Love for Swamp Rabbits in OT Loss to Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 at Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Fucale, May Lead Solar Bears to 4-0 Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Oilers Skate Past Wichita, 7-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Weekend Set against Utah, 5-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Get Sweet Ending with Valentine's Day Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Komets Erupt in Third Period to Overpower the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Tough Love for Gladiators on Valentine's Day - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Opener of Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lots of Hearts for the Nailers in 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Curti's Late Goal Earns Thunder Point in Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals' Valentine's Day Sweetness Is 3-1 Win at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Growlers Capture ECHL History - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Can't Stop Growlers Win Streak in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 14 - ECHL
- Forward Luke Nogard Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Try to Push Home Point Streak to Seven on Friday - Florida Everblades
- John McCarron Signs PTO with AHL's Stockton Heat - Florida Everblades
- Royals Add Beer Fest to Fri., February 21 Game - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Celebrate 40th Anniversary of 'Miracle on Ice' February 23 - Maine Mariners
- Komets Host Indy Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, February 14, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Road Trip Continues Tonight in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Kansas City. February 14, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Royals Lead Beast by 2 Points for 2nd Place - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.