Komets Erupt in Third Period to Overpower the Fuel
FORT WAYNE, IN. - The Indy Fuel (26-20-2-1) lead the game 3-0 heading into the third period but the Fort Wayne Komets (23-19-6-2) exploded, scoring five unanswered goals, taking down the Fuel in Fort Wayne Friday night at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum.
The Fuel opened the scoring of the night when Indy forced a turnover in the Komets zone allowing Bobby MacIntyre to drive the puck down the length of the ice and roofing a wrist stop from the right circle at 3:17 in the first.
Indy deepened their lead when Spencer Watson scooped up a turnover along the left boards passed it to MacIntyre in the right circle who found Derian Plouffe in the crease to tap it in at 14:15.
The Fuel had the lone goal in the second period when Watson was able to finesse the puck out of a scramble and fire a wrist shot from the top right circle into the back of the net to bring the score to 3-0 at 7:48 in the second.
Fort Wayne was knocking on Indy's door all night, outshooting the Fuel 43-19 by the end of the contest. Their first break of the night came at 7:37 in the third when Olivier Galipeau snuck a shot from the slot to give them their first goal of the night.
Less than a minute later Max Gottlieb rocketed a shot from the blue line that cut the Fuel's lead to one at 8:20.
Fort Wayne's momentum continued when Shawn Szydlowski launched a one timer from the left circle to tie the game halfway through the third.
Anthony Petruzzelli delivered the game winning goal on the power play with a shot from the left circle that fell in the right corner of the net at 13:21.
Chaz Reddekopp had the empty netter to bring the final score to 5-3.
Netminder Dan Bakala had 41 saves on 45 shots for the Fuel while Dyan Ferguson had 18 saves on 21 shots.
The Fuel's next home game is February 18 at 10:30 a.m. for Education Day! Come and see your Fuel take on the Fort Wayne Komets and the Indiana Farmers Coliseum. Fans can also take advantage of a wide variety of Ticket Plans by calling 317-925-FUEL or visiting IndyFuelHockey.com. Don't miss a second of the action during the 2019-20 season - follow the Fuel on Twitter and Instagram (@IndyFuel) and 'Like' the Fuel on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 14, 2020
- Oilers Dominate Thunder on Valentine's Day Thanks to Ian McNulty Hat Trick - Tulsa Oilers
- Hensick Scores a Pair, But Walleye Fall to Wings in OT - Toledo Walleye
- Sol Train: 'Blades Down Gladiators to Push Home Point Streak to Seven - Florida Everblades
- No Love for Swamp Rabbits in OT Loss to Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 at Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Fucale, May Lead Solar Bears to 4-0 Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Oilers Skate Past Wichita, 7-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Weekend Set against Utah, 5-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Get Sweet Ending with Valentine's Day Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Komets Erupt in Third Period to Overpower the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Tough Love for Gladiators on Valentine's Day - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Opener of Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lots of Hearts for the Nailers in 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Curti's Late Goal Earns Thunder Point in Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals' Valentine's Day Sweetness Is 3-1 Win at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Growlers Capture ECHL History - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Can't Stop Growlers Win Streak in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 14 - ECHL
- Forward Luke Nogard Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Try to Push Home Point Streak to Seven on Friday - Florida Everblades
- John McCarron Signs PTO with AHL's Stockton Heat - Florida Everblades
- Royals Add Beer Fest to Fri., February 21 Game - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Celebrate 40th Anniversary of 'Miracle on Ice' February 23 - Maine Mariners
- Komets Host Indy Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, February 14, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Road Trip Continues Tonight in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Kansas City. February 14, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Royals Lead Beast by 2 Points for 2nd Place - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.