Lots of Hearts for the Nailers in 5-3 Win
CINCINNATI, OH - The Wheeling Nailers got a big jolt on Friday night, as Nick Saracino and Yushiroh Hirano returned to the lineup. Both players had an impact at Heritage Bank Center, as they joined Cam Brown by scoring second period goals, leading the Nailers to a 5-3 triumph over the Cincinnati Cyclones.
The first period was an open one, as both teams found the back of the net twice. Wheeling struck in the first minute for the second straight contest. Graham Knott dribbled a pass through the slot to Renars Krastenbergs, who slid in a shot from the bottom of the left circle. The Cyclones drew even at the 12:16 mark, when Ben Johnson broke in on the left side, burying a shot against the grain on the right side of the cage. Special teams created the final two tallies in the stanza, as Alec Butcher pounded in a one-time feed from Cam Brown for the Nailers goal, before Brady Vail's wrist shot from the left circle made for a 2-2 deadlock.
Wheeling dominated the middle frame, as they scored three times. At the 2:04 mark, Blake Siebenaler steered a shot on goal that was stopped, but the rebound hopped out to Yushiroh Hirano, who smacked in a backhander. Nick Saracino added to the lead in his return to the lineup, as he converted on a breakaway, finding the twine on the left side. Then, with 2:31 to go, Spencer Trapp kept the puck in the zone and set up Cam Brown, who ramped a redirection into the right side of the net.
Jesse Schultz scored the lone goal of the third period for the Cyclones, who were stymied on 16 other shots, as the Nailers preserved their 5-3 win.
Alex D'Orio backstopped the victory for Wheeling, blocking away 28 of the 31 shots he faced. Jamie Phillips allowed five goals on 29 shots in the loss for Cincinnati.
The Nailers will return home on Saturday for Protect & Serve Night, honoring First Responders, while they face the Fort Wayne Komets at 7:05. Saturday's game will also feature a trading card set giveaway and a full team postgame autograph session. The next Big Six Promotional Game is Pittsburgh Penguins Night on Saturday, February 29th, starring 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Max Talbot. Friends & Family Ticket Packages are available for all Saturday home games, which include four tickets, four Tito's Sloppy Doggs and a $10 voucher to the team shop for $52. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, partial plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 14, 2020
- Oilers Dominate Thunder on Valentine's Day Thanks to Ian McNulty Hat Trick - Tulsa Oilers
- Hensick Scores a Pair, But Walleye Fall to Wings in OT - Toledo Walleye
- Sol Train: 'Blades Down Gladiators to Push Home Point Streak to Seven - Florida Everblades
- No Love for Swamp Rabbits in OT Loss to Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 at Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Fucale, May Lead Solar Bears to 4-0 Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville - Jacksonville Icemen
- Oilers Skate Past Wichita, 7-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Weekend Set against Utah, 5-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Get Sweet Ending with Valentine's Day Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Komets Erupt in Third Period to Overpower the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Tough Love for Gladiators on Valentine's Day - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Opener of Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lots of Hearts for the Nailers in 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Curti's Late Goal Earns Thunder Point in Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals' Valentine's Day Sweetness Is 3-1 Win at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Growlers Capture ECHL History - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Can't Stop Growlers Win Streak in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 14 - ECHL
- Forward Luke Nogard Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Try to Push Home Point Streak to Seven on Friday - Florida Everblades
- John McCarron Signs PTO with AHL's Stockton Heat - Florida Everblades
- Royals Add Beer Fest to Fri., February 21 Game - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Celebrate 40th Anniversary of 'Miracle on Ice' February 23 - Maine Mariners
- Komets Host Indy Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, February 14, 2020 - Jacksonville Icemen
- Road Trip Continues Tonight in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Kansas City. February 14, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Royals Lead Beast by 2 Points for 2nd Place - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.