Curti's Late Goal Earns Thunder Point in Overtime Loss
NORTH CHARLESTON, SC - Charlie Curti tied the game with 2:40 to go to force overtime but the Adirondack Thunder fell to the South Carolina Stingrays at North Charleston Coliseum 4-3. It was the seventh time this season that the Thunder have fallen in the extra session this season which now moves the season record to 18-22-7-5.
It was a reunion of sorts in North Charleston as the Thunder faced off against former netminder Logan Thompson, former forward Tim Harrison and former defenseman Tariq Hammond, who all now call South Carolina their home.
It took 16:01 for the first goal of the game to be scored. After some commotion in the crease next to Evan Cormier. Kristofers Bindulis unloaded a shot from the blueline that went top shelf for his fifth of the season.
Adirondack answered back with a pair of goals in a span of 1:02. Conor Riley scored off his rebound after Mike Szmatula set him up from the far corner following a pass from Ludvig Larsson. Riley's goal was his sixth of the season and came just 1:37 into the second period. Ara Nazarian went into the offensive zone and wristed a shot that snuck through the five-hole of Thompson for his ninth of the season. Casey Pierro-Zabotel gathered the lone assist at 2:39.
South Carolina evened the score on a snipe from Stingrays captain Andrew Cherniwchan, his 22nd of the season at 6:53. The goal came off of a defensive zone turnover. His shot snuck over the shoulder of Cormier to make it 2-2.
The Stingrays opened the scoring in the third period when Jayden Rissling regained the lead for South Carolina with 7:40 left in the third.
Adirondack found themselves on a 5-on-3 powerplay in the closing moments of the third period. Kelly Summers and Mike Szmatula went back and forth before feeding Charlie Curti for the one-timer to tie the game with 2:40 to go.
The game went to overtime and 2:27 in, Andrew Cherniwchan came down the slot to give the Stingrays the extra point and secure the 4-3 victory.
The Thunder outshot the Stingrays 37-33 and finished 1-for-6 on the powerplay while killing off both South Carolina man-advantages.
The Thunder continue their road trip down south as they face the IceMen on Saturday night in Jacksonville. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 14, 2020
- Oilers Dominate Thunder on Valentine's Day Thanks to Ian McNulty Hat Trick - Tulsa Oilers
- Hensick Scores a Pair, But Walleye Fall to Wings in OT - Toledo Walleye
- Sol Train: 'Blades Down Gladiators to Push Home Point Streak to Seven - Florida Everblades
- No Love for Swamp Rabbits in OT Loss to Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 at Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Fucale, May Lead Solar Bears to 4-0 Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Oilers Skate Past Wichita, 7-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Weekend Set against Utah, 5-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Get Sweet Ending with Valentine's Day Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Komets Erupt in Third Period to Overpower the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Tough Love for Gladiators on Valentine's Day - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Opener of Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lots of Hearts for the Nailers in 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Curti's Late Goal Earns Thunder Point in Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals' Valentine's Day Sweetness Is 3-1 Win at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Growlers Capture ECHL History - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Can't Stop Growlers Win Streak in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 14 - ECHL
- Forward Luke Nogard Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Try to Push Home Point Streak to Seven on Friday - Florida Everblades
- John McCarron Signs PTO with AHL's Stockton Heat - Florida Everblades
- Royals Add Beer Fest to Fri., February 21 Game - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Celebrate 40th Anniversary of 'Miracle on Ice' February 23 - Maine Mariners
- Komets Host Indy Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, February 14, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Road Trip Continues Tonight in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Kansas City. February 14, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Royals Lead Beast by 2 Points for 2nd Place - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Adirondack Thunder Issue Statement on Opt out of 2020-21 Season
- Adirondack Lands Veteran Forward Pete Macarthur in Trade with Orlando
- Rookie Defenseman Grant Frederic Turns Pro with Thunder
- Former QMJHL Champion Samuel Laberge Joins Adirondack
- Thunder Acquire Rights to Forward Chase Lang from IceMen