Royals' Valentine's Day Sweetness Is 3-1 Win at Brampton
Brampton, ON - The Reading Royals remained in sole possession of second place in the North Division with their fifth straight victory, slinging by the Brampton Beast, 3-1, Friday at the CAA Centre. Reading has won four consecutive on the road and the Royals are four points ahead of Brampton and Maine for second in the North.
Felix SandstrÃ¶m won his third straight game, blocking 22 shots. Alex Dubeau took the defeat despite 27 saves (3 GA). The Royals scored the first three goals. Brampton cut it to two in the final seven minutes on David Vallorani's power-play marker.
Jeremy Beaudry bagged his third goal of the season series to provide Reading with the opening goal in the final five minutes remaining in the first. Matthew Strome walked to the high slot and it was poked back to Beaudry. He cannoned a low-and-deflected wrist shot through the five hole.
Matthew Strome and Matthew Gaudreau scored in the second period for the Royals, while SandstrÃ¶m denied 16 straight in the first 40 minutes.
The Royals are home Sun., Feb. 16 at 4:00 p.m. vs. Worcester for $1 Deals ($1 kids tickets, $1 hot dogs, $1 nachos and $1 sodas) plus the last free postgame skate of the season, pres. by Body Zone Sports & Wellness Complex.
Beaudry the "Beast slayer"
Defenseman Jeremy Beaudry has four goals this season, three of which have come against Brampton. He scored the game's first goal Friday, the third time in the series Reading has netted the opening goal.
He scored his first Royals multi-goal game Dec. 29 at Brampton, a 3-2 Reading win. The third-year defenseman is in his first season with Reading. Last campaign, he scored six goals and 24 points for Wichita.
Second frame fire
Friday's two-goal middle period marked the 14th straight game the Royals have scored at least one goal in the second frame.
Over the last five games, the Royals have outscored foes, 15-2, in the second period. That included a five-goal frame vs. Worcester on Feb. 1.
In this second period, Reading struck early (6:43, Matthew Strome) and late (5:28 left, Matthew Gaudreau).
First since the ending
The five-game winning streak is the longest Reading has had since a six-game streak to end the 2018-19 season.
Upcoming Home Games: royalshockey.com/promotions
Sun., Feb. 16 at 4:00 p.m. vs. Worcester (Kids Club Game)
Last free postgame skate of the season, presented by Body Zone | $1 Hot Dog, $1 Soda & $1 Nacho Concession Special Pricing | Game Included Kids Club Packages presented by Applebee's, Schuykill Valley Sports and YMCA of Reading and Berks County (Sign Ups Available)
Fri., Feb. 21 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Newfoundland (Trading card giveaway, Flyers alumni at game)
Beer fest: free beer at tasting stations on concourse until 8:00 p.m. | Meet Flyers alumni Brad Marsh, Jim Watson and Riley Cote ahead of the Mar. 28 Royals Alumni vs. Flyers Alumni Game | Trading Card Giveaway presented by Outten | Purple Goes Green Presented by Berks Nature | $1 Frozen Treats | Kid's Report Card: Bring by your report card that has an 'A' on it and earn a free kids ticket for a future game
Sat., Feb. 22 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Brampton (Marvel Night)
Spider-Man Meet-and-Greet | Marvel Poster giveaway for the first 1,000 fans | Girl Scout Night | Abilities in Motion Night | Special Spider-Man Theme Jerseys | One fan has a chance to win four first-class flight tickets and a trip to Universal Studios in Orlando if a Royals player gets a hat trick (pres. by Berkshire Travel)
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 14, 2020
- Oilers Dominate Thunder on Valentine's Day Thanks to Ian McNulty Hat Trick - Tulsa Oilers
- Hensick Scores a Pair, But Walleye Fall to Wings in OT - Toledo Walleye
- Sol Train: 'Blades Down Gladiators to Push Home Point Streak to Seven - Florida Everblades
- No Love for Swamp Rabbits in OT Loss to Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Grizzlies Win 5-1 at Kansas City - Utah Grizzlies
- Fucale, May Lead Solar Bears to 4-0 Win over Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Taylor Completes K-Wings Dramatic Comeback in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- IceMen Win Fifth Straight with 4-3 Overtime Victory over Greenville - Jacksonville IceMen
- Oilers Skate Past Wichita, 7-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Mavs Drop Front End of Weekend Set against Utah, 5-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rays Get Sweet Ending with Valentine's Day Win - South Carolina Stingrays
- Komets Erupt in Third Period to Overpower the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Tough Love for Gladiators on Valentine's Day - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Opener of Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lots of Hearts for the Nailers in 5-3 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Curti's Late Goal Earns Thunder Point in Overtime Loss - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals' Valentine's Day Sweetness Is 3-1 Win at Brampton - Reading Royals
- Growlers Capture ECHL History - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Can't Stop Growlers Win Streak in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Transactions - February 14 - ECHL
- Forward Luke Nogard Returns - Atlanta Gladiators
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Admirals - Orlando Solar Bears
- Preview: 'Blades Try to Push Home Point Streak to Seven on Friday - Florida Everblades
- John McCarron Signs PTO with AHL's Stockton Heat - Florida Everblades
- Royals Add Beer Fest to Fri., February 21 Game - Reading Royals
- Game Notes: vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Celebrate 40th Anniversary of 'Miracle on Ice' February 23 - Maine Mariners
- Komets Host Indy Tonight - Fort Wayne Komets
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits at IceMen, February 14, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Road Trip Continues Tonight in Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Kansas City. February 14, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Preview: Royals Lead Beast by 2 Points for 2nd Place - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Reading Royals Announce First-Ever Virtual Pink in the Rink Game Presented by Met-Ed
- Reading Royals Proudly Announce 20 Recipient Businesses of Its Royals20for20 Small Business Stimulus Plan
- Reading Royals Announce Royals20for20 Small Business Stimulus Campaign
- Reading Royals Introduce FanSaves App to Connect Their Fans and Sponsors
- Reading Royals and Met-Ed Announce Joint Volunteer & Community Engagement Initiatives for 2020-2021