Icemen Freeze Blades in Shootout
ESTERO, Fla. -- The Everblades suffered a shootout loss for the second time at Hertz Arena this season after coming up short 3-2 on Saturday night against the Jacksonville Icemen.
It took just 6:18 of play for the Blades to get the raucous Hertz Arena crowd of 6,097 on their feet. Cruising into the offensive zone, Alex Aleardi deflected the puck off a Jacksonville skate and across the goalmouth to put Florida up 1-0. The lone assist went to Levko Koper, who sent in a pass from the neutral zone.
Luke Lynch's goal evened the game for Jacksonville when he shifted to the far circle and flipped a backhand shot past Blades goalie Parker Gahagen. The official time for the mark, assisted by Jeff Taylor and Travis Howe, was 18:52 of the first period.
The Icemen took their first lead of the night in the middle stanza when Derek Lodermeier got alone and smoked a shot into the cage from between the circles. It was another late-period strike for Jacksonville with 1:23 remaining. With six seconds until the intermission, Blake Winiecki tied the game for the Blades, going top-shelf while standing along the near side of the goal line. The conversion marked Winiecki's ninth consecutive game where he recorded a point.
A scoreless third period led the teams to overtime, where neither goaltender would budge. Derek Lodermeier's goal in the third round of the shootout secured the 3-2 win for Jacksonville. Winiecki, Aleardi and John McCarron each came up empty handed in the skills competition for the Everblades. The shortcoming puts them at 7-3-1-2 this season while the Icemen now possess an overall record of 5-6-1-1.
The Everblades will head north to Jacksonville next week for a three-game series against the Icemen. The first matchup takes place this Wednesday, Nov. 24 at 7:00 pm. The game will be carried on FloSports.TV and ESPN Southwest Florida on 770 AM, 98.1 FM, 104.3 FM and online at https://espnswfl.com.
The next home game for the Blades will take place on Wednesday Dec. 1 when the Trois-Rivieres Lions come to town for the first time in history. Fans can enjoy Hump Day Deals including $3 John Morrell hot dogs and $3 Bud Light drafts. College students can show a valid student ID at the box office to purchase a student ticket for only $5! The action begins at 7:30 pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 20, 2021
- GAME REPORT: Oilers Fall to Thunder on the Road - Tulsa Oilers
- Taylor Hat Trick Propels Wings over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Glads Fall Short against Cyclones - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Top Gladiators, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dickinson, Berry Combine for Eight Points in Toledo Win over Iowa - Toledo Walleye
- Nailers Come Inches Away from a Point in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Jacob Pritchard Scores Highlight Reel Goal But Royals Lose in OT, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Heartlanders Fall Saturday - Iowa Heartlanders
- Railers Take Down Lions 3-1 on Frontline Heroes Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Taylor Hat Trick Fuels K-Wings to Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Icemen Freeze Blades in Shootout - Florida Everblades
- Lions Dealt in Worcester - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Growlers Top Reading 2-1 in Overtime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Battle to the Final Whistle, But Fall a Goal Short in Orlando - Maine Mariners
- Steelheads Sign Defenseman Jake Cass from Birmingham - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - November 21 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Clurman Returns to Utah for Saturday Night vs KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Dances with Wolves Night vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Opens Five-Game Homestand Tonight vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Mariners: November 20, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Look for Revenge in Battle with First-Place Growlers - Reading Royals
- Glads Ready for Second Tilt of Weekend - Atlanta Gladiators
- Hawerchuk's Overtime Goal Guides Icemen Past Mariners - Jacksonville Icemen
- Everblades Primed to Thaw Icemen - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Rapid City, 8:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Americans Fall to Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Offense Comes Alive for Sellout Crowd in 5-1 Steelheads Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Hammer Americans, 6-1 - Rapid City Rush
- KC Defeats Utah 5-2 in Series Opener - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Everblades Claim Third Straight over Growlers
- Everblades Return Home with 2-0 Lead in Eastern Conference Finals
- Everblades to Hold Second Warm-Up Jersey Auction Benefiting St. Matthew's House
- Johnson's Fourth Shutout and Solow's Game-Winner Propel Everblades to 2-0 Lead in Eastern Conference Finals
- Everblades Gunning for 2-0 Series Lead in Eastern Conference Finals