Cyclones Top Gladiators, 4-2
Atlanta, GA- Mason Mitchell potted the game-winning-goal in the second period to help the Cyclones edge the Atlanta Gladiators by a 4-2 final Saturday night.
Cincinnati improves to 7-5 on the season, while Atlanta drops to 6-3. Mat Robson made 40 saves to earn his fifth win of the year. Tyler Parks took the loss in goal for Atlanta, making 30 saves.
- Atlanta jumped out early in both the first and second periods, taking 1-0 and 2-1 leads on goals from Elijah Vilio and Tim Davison respectively. The Cyclones erased the first deficit on a goal line drive from Mason Mitchell that was redirected in the crease from Louie Caporusso, who scored his fourth of the season to make it 1-1.
- Brett Van Os cut through Atlanta's defense in the second period and peeled to his backhand to rip home the rookie's first professional goal. The tally would be the first of three unanswered for the Cyclones, as Mitchell found the back of the net 11:20 into the middle period for the 3-2 advantage, and subsequently, the game-winner.
- Atlanta continued to pressure in the third period, and had a marvelous chance with a 2-on-0 shorthanded opportunity. Captain Derek Nesbitt found Cody Sylvester for a cross-crease shot, but Robson made the save to hold Atlanta from tying the game.
- 14:54 into the third, Gino Esteves intercepted a puck in the defensive zone, then turned and lobbed it down the ice for Jesse Schultz to score a breakaway goal, capping the 4-2 final.
- Matthew Cairns and Luke Nogard took a fight late in the game. The Cyclones now have 12 fighting majors in as many games played this season.
- Since the tail-end of the 2018-19 season, the 'Clones have gone 29-0-2 when leading after two periods.
The Toledo Walleye make their first visit to Heritage Bank Center Wednesday night, as the Cyclones reignite the battle of Ohio for the first time since the teams met each other in the final game before the 2019-20 ECHL season was cancelled.
Stay tuned all season for updates on important events, player signings, promotion and ticketing information and MORE! Call (513) 421-PUCK for tickets and more information, and stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 20, 2021
- GAME REPORT: Oilers Fall to Thunder on the Road - Tulsa Oilers
- Taylor Hat Trick Propels Wings over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Glads Fall Short against Cyclones - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Top Gladiators, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dickinson, Berry Combine for Eight Points in Toledo Win over Iowa - Toledo Walleye
- Nailers Come Inches Away from a Point in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Jacob Pritchard Scores Highlight Reel Goal But Royals Lose in OT, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Heartlanders Fall Saturday - Iowa Heartlanders
- Railers Take Down Lions 3-1 on Frontline Heroes Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Taylor Hat Trick Fuels K-Wings to Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Icemen Freeze Blades in Shootout - Florida Everblades
- Lions Dealt in Worcester - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Growlers Top Reading 2-1 in Overtime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Battle to the Final Whistle, But Fall a Goal Short in Orlando - Maine Mariners
- Steelheads Sign Defenseman Jake Cass from Birmingham - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - November 21 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Clurman Returns to Utah for Saturday Night vs KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Dances with Wolves Night vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Opens Five-Game Homestand Tonight vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Mariners: November 20, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Look for Revenge in Battle with First-Place Growlers - Reading Royals
- Glads Ready for Second Tilt of Weekend - Atlanta Gladiators
- Hawerchuk's Overtime Goal Guides Icemen Past Mariners - Jacksonville Icemen
- Everblades Primed to Thaw Icemen - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Rapid City, 8:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Americans Fall to Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Offense Comes Alive for Sellout Crowd in 5-1 Steelheads Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Hammer Americans, 6-1 - Rapid City Rush
- KC Defeats Utah 5-2 in Series Opener - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.