Taylor Hat Trick Fuels K-Wings to Victory
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - The Kalamazoo Wings (6-4-0-0) offense reignited in the second period against the Indy Fuel (4-7-1-0) in a 4-2 victory on Saturday night at Indiana Farmer's Coliseum.
The game got off to a slow start as the first goal did not come until 3:58 remaining in the first period. Fuel Forward Cedric LaCroix was called for hooking, putting the K-Wings on their first power play of the night. Great passing left Captain Justin Taylor wide open in front of the net to start the scoring.
The scoring escalated in the second frame. Taylor was responsible for opening the flood gates. With 14:29 remaining, following a boarding penalty on the Fuel, Taylor found the net on a rebound the power play to make it 2-0 Kalamazoo.
Two minutes later, Jake Slaker intercepted a pass in the neutral zone, put on the jets, and drained a slap shot in the top corner of the net. Newly minted K-Wing Defenseman Giovanni Vallati caught the Fuel asleep during a line change and banged a slap shot from between the circles to put Kalamazoo up 4-0.
Indy would answer back. Fuel Forward Spencer Watson scored off a face-off to break the Indy Fuel seal. Fuel Defenseman Cliff Watson (no relation to Spencer) found the net on a shot from the top of the left circle to make it 4-2.
In the third frame, the comeback attempt would continue for the Fuel. At 5:48 into the third, Tanner Sorenson was called for boarding. Indy forward Seamus Malone would score on the ensuing power play to make it 4-3. Five minutes later, Greg Betzold took the puck on a wrap-around attempting to score, and Taylor banged home the rebound for his third of the night, giving the K-Wings some much-needed breathing room.
Jet Greaves stopped 32 of 35 shots face. Indy Fuel Starting Goaltender Mitch Gillam was pulled after stopping 11 of 15 shots midway thru the second period. Tom Aubrun entered in relief and stopped 8 of the 9 shots he faced.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 20, 2021
- GAME REPORT: Oilers Fall to Thunder on the Road - Tulsa Oilers
- Taylor Hat Trick Propels Wings over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Glads Fall Short against Cyclones - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Top Gladiators, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dickinson, Berry Combine for Eight Points in Toledo Win over Iowa - Toledo Walleye
- Nailers Come Inches Away from a Point in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Jacob Pritchard Scores Highlight Reel Goal But Royals Lose in OT, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Heartlanders Fall Saturday - Iowa Heartlanders
- Railers Take Down Lions 3-1 on Frontline Heroes Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Taylor Hat Trick Fuels K-Wings to Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Icemen Freeze Blades in Shootout - Florida Everblades
- Lions Dealt in Worcester - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Growlers Top Reading 2-1 in Overtime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Battle to the Final Whistle, But Fall a Goal Short in Orlando - Maine Mariners
- Steelheads Sign Defenseman Jake Cass from Birmingham - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - November 21 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Clurman Returns to Utah for Saturday Night vs KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Dances with Wolves Night vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Opens Five-Game Homestand Tonight vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Mariners: November 20, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Look for Revenge in Battle with First-Place Growlers - Reading Royals
- Glads Ready for Second Tilt of Weekend - Atlanta Gladiators
- Hawerchuk's Overtime Goal Guides Icemen Past Mariners - Jacksonville Icemen
- Everblades Primed to Thaw Icemen - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Rapid City, 8:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Americans Fall to Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Offense Comes Alive for Sellout Crowd in 5-1 Steelheads Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Hammer Americans, 6-1 - Rapid City Rush
- KC Defeats Utah 5-2 in Series Opener - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kalamazoo Wings Stories
- Cincinnati's Strong Second Period Leads to 5-4 Defeat
- K-Wings Streak Halted on Rainbow Ice, Fall to Walleye 4-2
- K-Wings Weekly: Week 11 - K-Wings Set to Play on Rainbow Ice for First Time
- K-Wings Open 2022 with Scoring Onslaught
- K-Wings End 2021 in Comeback Fashion with Scoring Frenzy in Final Minutes