Offense Comes Alive for Sellout Crowd in 5-1 Steelheads Win
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (8-5-0) offense came alive in the second half of the game with a 5-1 win over the Adirondack Thunder (4-6-1) on Friday night from Idaho Central Arena in front of 5,182 fans, the second sellout of the season in five games.
THE GAME'S STO--RY
Scoring didn't pick up until the second period, but once the first fell the offense kept converting starting with Steelheads forward Colton Kehler (8:20 2nd) on a shot off the pads for the 1-0 lead. The Steelheads then scored two goals in less than one minute thanks to defenseman Darren Brady (12:36 2nd) followed by forward A.J. White (13:18 2nd) to triple the lead, 3-0. In the third period, two more fell the home side's way when forward Zach Walker (6:43 3rd) converted on a 2-on-0 break before forward Will Merchant (15:39 3rd) earned his own tally on a shot from the right circle to stretch the lead to 5-0. The Thunder scored in the final 40 seconds to break the shutout bid, but the Steelheads still earned the 5-1 win.
ICCU 3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. IDH - Matt Jurusik (win, 33 of 34 saves)
2. IDH - Darren Brady (game-winner, assist)
3. IDH - Colby McAuley (assist)
PEPSI PLAYER OF THE GAME
Matt Jurusik - 59:21 minutes of shutout hockey, 33-34 SV
- Matt Jurusik: Jurusik nearly earned his first shutout of the season in a 33-save effort, a season-high performance. He owns wins in three of five games and now has a 2.43 GAA and .915 save pct. on the year.
- Darren Brady: Brady earned his second multi-point game of the season and notched his first game-winner of the season. He now owns a three-game point streak and points in four of five games (2-3-5).
- A.J. White: White added his third multi-point game of the year with his goal and assist, extending his point streak to four games. He shares the team lead in goals (6) and has 11 points in 13 games.
- Will Merchant: Merchant added his third multi-point game and moved his point-scoring streak to a team-best five games, posting seven points (3-4-7) with assists in four-straight. He leads the team in scoring with 12 points (6-6-12).
CATCH OF THE DAY
Steelheads forward Zach Walker scored his first goal of the season as well as his first in the ECHL for his career in the third period of tonight's win. Walker made history with his goal, marking the first time in Steelheads history that a native of Boise, Idaho has scored a goal for the Steelheads as well as the first to score at Idaho Central Arena. Three of his five points have come at home this season.
BECAUSE IDAHO SCORED FOUR...
All fans in attendance can pick up a free Jumbo Jack at any Jack in the Box location in the Boise area. Just show your ticket stub at the casher to redeem.
ATTENDANCE: 5,182 (2nd sellout)
The Steelheads finish their three-game weekend against the Adirondack Thunder on Saturday, Nov. 20 at 7:10 p.m. from Idaho Central Arena. Tickets are available by calling 208-331-TIXS or going to idahosteelheads.com Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK as well as 7:00 p.m. on Sparklight Ch. 72 & FloHockey.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 20, 2021
- GAME REPORT: Oilers Fall to Thunder on the Road - Tulsa Oilers
- Taylor Hat Trick Propels Wings over Fuel - Indy Fuel
- Glads Fall Short against Cyclones - Atlanta Gladiators
- Cyclones Top Gladiators, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dickinson, Berry Combine for Eight Points in Toledo Win over Iowa - Toledo Walleye
- Nailers Come Inches Away from a Point in Fort Wayne - Wheeling Nailers
- Jacob Pritchard Scores Highlight Reel Goal But Royals Lose in OT, 2-1 - Reading Royals
- Heartlanders Fall Saturday - Iowa Heartlanders
- Railers Take Down Lions 3-1 on Frontline Heroes Night - Worcester Railers HC
- Taylor Hat Trick Fuels K-Wings to Victory - Kalamazoo Wings
- Icemen Freeze Blades in Shootout - Florida Everblades
- Lions Dealt in Worcester - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Growlers Top Reading 2-1 in Overtime - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mariners Battle to the Final Whistle, But Fall a Goal Short in Orlando - Maine Mariners
- Steelheads Sign Defenseman Jake Cass from Birmingham - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - November 21 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Grizzlies Gameday: Clurman Returns to Utah for Saturday Night vs KC - Utah Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Dances with Wolves Night vs Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Wichita Opens Five-Game Homestand Tonight vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Mariners: November 20, 2021 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Royals Look for Revenge in Battle with First-Place Growlers - Reading Royals
- Glads Ready for Second Tilt of Weekend - Atlanta Gladiators
- Hawerchuk's Overtime Goal Guides Icemen Past Mariners - Jacksonville Icemen
- Everblades Primed to Thaw Icemen - Florida Everblades
- Game Day Preview: Americans at Rapid City, 8:05 PM - Allen Americans
- Americans Fall to Rapid City - Allen Americans
- Offense Comes Alive for Sellout Crowd in 5-1 Steelheads Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Hammer Americans, 6-1 - Rapid City Rush
- KC Defeats Utah 5-2 in Series Opener - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.