Four Claws Combine on Shutout in 1-0 Win
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Four BlueClaws pitchers combined on Lakewood's third shutout of the season as the BlueClaws topped Hagerstown 1-0 on Tuesday night at FirstEnergy Park.
Mark Potter came on for Manuel Silva (1-2) in the ninth and got the last two outs with runners at first and second, earning his second save. Silva, the winning pitcher, threw 3.1 scoreless innings in relief to give the BlueClaws (20-37) a second straight win to start the series with the Suns (26-32).
In the ninth inning, Nic Perkins was called out for running out of the first base line on a bunt attempt. A throwing error would have given the Suns first and third with nobody out. With two on and two out, Mark Potter came in and got a strikeout and ground out to end the game.
The BlueClaws got the game's lone run in the sixth inning. Jonathan Guzman walked, then stole second for his 16th swipe of the season. When the throw went into centerfield, Guzman went to third. He came in on the groundout by Rafael Marchan to put the BlueClaws up 1-0.
Lakewood starter Ethan Lindow did not allow a run over 4.1 innings. He struck out five and walked two. Rafi Gonell got the last two outs in the fifth after replacing Lindow.
Hagerstown starter Tim Cate gave up one run in six innings while striking out six.
Jacob Rhinesmith had two hits for Hagerstown.
The teams finish their series on Wednesday at 11:05 am. RHP Kyle Glogoski (3-1) will start for Lakewood opposite RHP Tomas Alastre (3-4).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 4, 2019
- GreenJackets Outlast Asheville for 7-6 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Bizarre Ninth Caps off 1-0 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Hurls Career-High 8.1 Innings in 4-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Grasshoppers Overwhelm RiverDogs as Lockridge Keeps On-Base Streak Alive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Takes Series with 3-2 Win over Rome - Rome Braves
- Drive Fall to Lexington on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- Taveras Masterful in Middle Game Versus Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Claws Combine on Shutout in 1-0 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- K-Town Solves Rodriguez, Bashes 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Rack up 14 Strikeouts in Loss to Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 4 vs. Rome (Game 58) - Columbia Fireflies
- Harris promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Suns Send Two to 60th SAL All-Star Game - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 4) - West Virginia Power
- Augusta Sports Leagues Host Softball & Kickball Finals at SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Have Six Selected to South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters for All-Star Game - SAL
- Two Intimidators Make 60th Annual South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Corry, Tona, Munguia Selected to SAL All-Star Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ronny Mauricio Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Columbia Fireflies
- Five Legends Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Lexington Legends
- Four Braves Named South Atlantic League All-Stars - Rome Braves
- Four Tourists Headed to the All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Three Drive Players Tabbed for South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Greenville Drive
- Trio of 'Dads Hitters Named to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Great Eight: 'Birds Stack All-Star Roster - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 South Atlantic League All-Star Rosters Unveiled - West Virginia Power
- Braves Bats Silenced in 5-2 Loss to Fireflies - Rome Braves
- Offensive Showdown Ends in GreenJackets Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Recap: Mountain Too Tall to Climb in Critical Contest - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.