Bizarre Ninth Caps off 1-0 Loss
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Despite a strong pitching performance and six hits, Hagerstown was unable to score a run in a 1-0 loss to the Lakewood BlueClaws at FirstEnergy Park Tuesday evening.
Hagerstown led off the ninth with a single from Israel Pineda. The next batter, Nic Perkins, laid down a bunt and beat out a throw from the pitcher, Manuel Silva (W, 1-2). The first baseman, Jake Holmes , struggled with the ball, which allowed Pineda to advance to third, but everything was called back when Perkins was called out on runners interference. Pineda had to go back to first and then there was one out.
Kyle Marinconz was next up and he knocked an infield single up the middle before Mark Potter (S, 2) slammed the door shut, earning the last two outs of the game.
The wild last inning spoiled an excellent start from Tim Cate (L, 4-4), who just allowed two hits in six frames while wringing up half a dozen batters. The lefty faced just four over the minimum after recording 18 outs.
Ryan Williamson finished the game out with two scoreless innings, fanning four of the final five batters he faced.
The lone run of the game scored in the sixth inning. Jonathan Guzman walked to get aboard, after that he stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error from Israel Pineda . He later scored on a Luis Garcia single with two outs.
Tomorrow, Hagerstown starts early, with an 11:05 a.m. first pitch to close out the three-game set. RHP Tomas Alastre (3-4, 5.83 ERA) gets the ball for Hagerstown, while Lakewood counters with righty Kyle Glogoski (3-1, 0.96 ERA).
After the seven-game road trip, the Suns return to Municipal Stadium May 10 to begin a seven-game homestand against the BlueClaws and the West Virginia Power. The stretch is filled with great promotions, including Bark in the Park, Thirsty Thursday, Pink Night and Sunday Funday! For tickets or more information visit hagerstownsuns.com or call 301-791-6266.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 4, 2019
- GreenJackets Outlast Asheville for 7-6 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Bizarre Ninth Caps off 1-0 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Hurls Career-High 8.1 Innings in 4-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Grasshoppers Overwhelm RiverDogs as Lockridge Keeps On-Base Streak Alive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Takes Series with 3-2 Win over Rome - Rome Braves
- Drive Fall to Lexington on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- Taveras Masterful in Middle Game Versus Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Claws Combine on Shutout in 1-0 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- K-Town Solves Rodriguez, Bashes 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Rack up 14 Strikeouts in Loss to Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 4 vs. Rome (Game 58) - Columbia Fireflies
- Harris promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Suns Send Two to 60th SAL All-Star Game - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 4) - West Virginia Power
- Augusta Sports Leagues Host Softball & Kickball Finals at SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Have Six Selected to South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters for All-Star Game - SAL
- Two Intimidators Make 60th Annual South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Corry, Tona, Munguia Selected to SAL All-Star Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ronny Mauricio Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Columbia Fireflies
- Five Legends Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Lexington Legends
- Four Braves Named South Atlantic League All-Stars - Rome Braves
- Four Tourists Headed to the All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Three Drive Players Tabbed for South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Greenville Drive
- Trio of 'Dads Hitters Named to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Great Eight: 'Birds Stack All-Star Roster - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 South Atlantic League All-Star Rosters Unveiled - West Virginia Power
- Braves Bats Silenced in 5-2 Loss to Fireflies - Rome Braves
- Offensive Showdown Ends in GreenJackets Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Recap: Mountain Too Tall to Climb in Critical Contest - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.