Drive Fall to Lexington on Tuesday
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive took a 3-1 lead in to the sixth inning but the Lexington Legends rallied for three runs in the sixth before going on to win 6-3 on Tuesday night at Fluor Field.
Lexington broke open the scoring in the fourth. Nathan Eaton doubled to left and Eric Cole followed with a single to left center to score him and give the Legends a 1-0 lead.
Greenville answered in the bottom half. Triston Casas tripled to center to open the frame and two batters later Brandon Howlett singled to left to bring in Casas and tie the game at 1-1.
The Drive then claimed the lead with two runs in the fifth. Devlin Granberg reached on an error with two outs and Jordan Wren capitalized with a two-run home run to left, his fifth homer of the season, to put the home team in front, 3-1.
The Legends retook the lead with three runs in the top of the sixth. Cole opened the frame with a lead-off walk and Clemson product Reed Rohlman tripled to right to cut the lead to one. Freddy Fermin followed with an RBI single to right to bring home Rohlman, tying the game at 3-3. Three batters later, Rubendy Jaquez singled to center to drive in Fermin and give the road team a 4-3 lead.
Lexington tacked on two more in the ninth. Jeison Guzman tripled to lead off the inning and Jaquez followed with a single through a drawn in infield to score him. Jaquez then moved to second on a groundout, before stealing third and scoring on a throwing error by the catcher to make it a 6-3 game.
Lexington starter Austin Cox (4-3) earned the win, allowing three runs (one earned) on eight hits in 6.0 innings pitched with seven strikeouts and no walks. Drive starter Brayan Bello (2-5) suffered the loss, allowing four runs on eight hits in 5.0 innings pitched with two strikeouts against a lone walk. Lexington's Kyle Hinton earned his fifth save of the year with a scoreless ninth inning.
Wren led the Drive offense on the night, going 3-for-4 with the homer, a run and two RBI. Casas added a 2-for-4 performance with a double, a triple and a run, while Howlett went 2-for-4 with a double, a walk and an RBI.
The series concludes on Wednesday night with a 7:05 p.m. first pitch. Drive right-hander Alex Scherff takes the mound against Lexington right-hander Charlie Neuweiler.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 4, 2019
- GreenJackets Outlast Asheville for 7-6 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Bizarre Ninth Caps off 1-0 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Hurls Career-High 8.1 Innings in 4-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Grasshoppers Overwhelm RiverDogs as Lockridge Keeps On-Base Streak Alive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Takes Series with 3-2 Win over Rome - Rome Braves
- Drive Fall to Lexington on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- Taveras Masterful in Middle Game Versus Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Claws Combine on Shutout in 1-0 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- K-Town Solves Rodriguez, Bashes 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Rack up 14 Strikeouts in Loss to Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 4 vs. Rome (Game 58) - Columbia Fireflies
- Harris promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Suns Send Two to 60th SAL All-Star Game - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 4) - West Virginia Power
- Augusta Sports Leagues Host Softball & Kickball Finals at SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Have Six Selected to South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters for All-Star Game - SAL
- Two Intimidators Make 60th Annual South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Corry, Tona, Munguia Selected to SAL All-Star Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ronny Mauricio Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Columbia Fireflies
- Five Legends Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Lexington Legends
- Four Braves Named South Atlantic League All-Stars - Rome Braves
- Four Tourists Headed to the All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Three Drive Players Tabbed for South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Greenville Drive
- Trio of 'Dads Hitters Named to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Great Eight: 'Birds Stack All-Star Roster - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 South Atlantic League All-Star Rosters Unveiled - West Virginia Power
- Braves Bats Silenced in 5-2 Loss to Fireflies - Rome Braves
- Offensive Showdown Ends in GreenJackets Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Recap: Mountain Too Tall to Climb in Critical Contest - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.