GreenJackets Outlast Asheville for 7-6 Win
Asheville, NC: Dalton Combs was playing in just his 5th game as an Augusta GreenJacket and the left-hander played a massive role in a 7-6, 11-inning win for the GreenJackets (29-29) over the Asheville Tourists (24-34) on Tuesday night. Combs goes 2-4 with five-RBI including a grand slam. He also drove home the go-ahead run in the 11th inning.
The win for the Jackets, combined with the loss for Charleston, puts Augusta only two games out of 1st place with 12 games to go in the 1st half of the season.
After the GreenJackets scored the first run the previous night, it was Asheville breaking open the scoring on Tuesday evening. An RBI double for Asheville's Jonny Cresto gave the Tourists a 1-0 lead after two innings, as scoring from 2nd base was Coco Montes.
Asheville scored two more times in the 3rd inning. A leadoff home run for Will Golsan made the score 2-0 Asheville and later in the inning, a groundout for Coco Montes produced a run to make it 3-0 Tourists. Asheville tacked on another run off GreenJackets starter Adam Oller in the 5th inning. An RBI double for Grant Lavigne pushed the Asheville lead to 4-0.
Shelby Lackey was dealing on the mound for Asheville, he had allowed just two hits through his first five innings on the mound and the Jackets had not scored. That would change in the 6th inning.
Lackey was a pitch away from going six scoreless frames on the hill. With Anyesber Sivira on 3rd base, Diego Rincones singled in a 3-2 count to make it a 4-1 game. Frankie Tostado and Jacob Gonzalez both singled to load the bases, and it was Dalton Combs with a grand slam to give the Jackets a 5-4 advantage.
It was Combs first home run of his GreenJackets career and Augusta had the lead. Asheville would not go quietly though. In the 7th inning, they scored on a passed ball to tie the game at five.
We would go to extras, and with the game tied at five the GreenJackets scored twice in the 11th inning. It was an RBI single for Combs to score the 1st run, followed by an error on the shortstop Montes later in the inning to make it 7-5 GreenJackets. Augusta had three runners thrown out at home plate from the 7th inning to the 11th inning.
Asheville would scratch a run across in the 11th, but that would be all they could muster up as the Jackets go on to win by a final of 7-6. Ryan Walker earns the win on the mound, as he went the final three innings without allowing an earned run.
Player of the Game: Dalton Combs
In Dalton Combs 5th game as an Augusta GreenJacket, he drives in five runs, including a grand slam that helps the Jackets win the series over Asheville. Combs had the go-ahead RBI in the 11th inning as well.
Tomorrow's Game: 7:05 PM @ Asheville Tourists (Colorado Rockies), McCormick Field, Asheville, North Carolina
Pitching Matchup: (ASH) LHP Colten Schmidt (1-2, 1.95 ERA) vs (AUG) RHP Keaton Winn (2-4, 4.31 ERA)
Keaton Winn will make his 2nd start of this road trip after he went 4.1 innings on the mound against the Columbia Fireflies on May 31st. Winn this season has 33 strikeouts to only eight walks, and his ability to manufacture groundballs has been huge for his success. Winn was a 5th round selection by the Giants in 2018 out of Iowa Western Community College. He spent last year with the Class-A Short Season Salem-Keizer Volcanoes, and posted an ERA of 4.81 over 43 innings. Winn was also selected by the Giants in the 2017 MLB Draft as a 20th round selection, but he decided to return to school.
Colten Schmidt will get the baseball for the Tourists in the series finale. Schmidt has an ERA of 1.95 this season over 37 innings on the mound. That ERA is the best on the team, among active starting pitchers on the Asheville roster. After Schmidt was a 23rd round selection by the Colorado Rockies in the 2018 MLB Draft, he spent 2018 with the Boise Hawks in the Class-A Short Season Northwest League. While there, he appeared in nine games out of the bullpen and had an ERA of 10.80. He played his college baseball at Louisiana-Lafayette University.
Next Homestand: June 6th-June 9th vs the Kannapolis Intimidators
The GreenJackets return home to SRP Park to host the Kannapolis Intimidators June 6th - June 9th. It's going to be a weekend of fun featuring Thirsty Thursday presented by Garden City Social & Mr. Tattoo with a special Appearance by Kevin Kisner! The first 750 fans will receive a Golf Towel courtesy of Cintas and it's Tribute to Teachers Night. Friday it's First Responders Night, the first 1,000 fans will receive a one-of-a-kind set of plaid sunglasses courtesy of Best Office Solutions and Kids Run the Bases. Saturday SRP Park transforms to Margaritaville with a pre-game concert, Anthony and London Thuan State Farm Saturday, Kids Run the Bases and Post-game Fireworks presented by Helm Electric. The fun wraps up on Sunday with the ever popular Princess and Pirates Junior Jackets Sunday! All kids 12 and under get in for FREE, Path 2 College Sunday Funday with pre-game Catch on the Field and Post-game Kids Run the Bases. Get your tickets today to Catch the Buzz: https://www.milb.com/augusta/tickets/single-game-tickets
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 4, 2019
- GreenJackets Outlast Asheville for 7-6 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Bizarre Ninth Caps off 1-0 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Hurls Career-High 8.1 Innings in 4-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Grasshoppers Overwhelm RiverDogs as Lockridge Keeps On-Base Streak Alive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Takes Series with 3-2 Win over Rome - Rome Braves
- Drive Fall to Lexington on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- Taveras Masterful in Middle Game Versus Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Claws Combine on Shutout in 1-0 Win - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- K-Town Solves Rodriguez, Bashes 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Rack up 14 Strikeouts in Loss to Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 4 vs. Rome (Game 58) - Columbia Fireflies
- Harris promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Suns Send Two to 60th SAL All-Star Game - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 4) - West Virginia Power
- Augusta Sports Leagues Host Softball & Kickball Finals at SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Have Six Selected to South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters for All-Star Game - SAL
- Two Intimidators Make 60th Annual South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Corry, Tona, Munguia Selected to SAL All-Star Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ronny Mauricio Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Columbia Fireflies
- Five Legends Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Lexington Legends
- Four Braves Named South Atlantic League All-Stars - Rome Braves
- Four Tourists Headed to the All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Three Drive Players Tabbed for South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Greenville Drive
- Trio of 'Dads Hitters Named to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Great Eight: 'Birds Stack All-Star Roster - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 South Atlantic League All-Star Rosters Unveiled - West Virginia Power
- Braves Bats Silenced in 5-2 Loss to Fireflies - Rome Braves
- Offensive Showdown Ends in GreenJackets Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Recap: Mountain Too Tall to Climb in Critical Contest - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.