Braves Bats Silenced in 5-2 Loss to Fireflies
COLUMBIA, SC - Columbia starter RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson handcuffed the Rome offense on Monday evening, firing 5 shutout innings while not allowing a hit. His performance set the tone in a 5-2 Rome loss that sent the Braves to their third consecutive defeat of the road trip.
With the game scoreless in the Bottom of the 3rd inning the Fireflies got to Rome starting pitcher RHP Alan Rangel. The first four batters reached base in the inning and all eventually scored. Rangel was unable to work his way out of the inning and was lifted for lefty reliever Dilmer Mejia, who finished the frame and pitched well out of the bullpen.
After Columbia added their final run in the 5th inning the Braves got their first hit in the 6th and then began to make some noise in the 7th. Greg Cullen opened the inning with a double and then scored on a Trey Harris double to center. Logan Brown followed with a single into left to score Harris and bring Rome to within 5-2, but the Braves were never able to bring the tying run to the plate.
Harris finished 1-3 with a double, walk, and an RBI. Cullen was 1-3 with a double, a run scored and was also hit by a pitch. Brown was 1-3 with an RBI. Rangel got the loss, going 2.2 innings while allowing four runs on four hits. He struck out two and walked two. Mejia was solid out of the bullpen, throwing 3.1 innings and allowing only one run on four hits. He struck out two and walked one. Lefty Jake Higginbotham enjoyed one of his best outings of the season, retiring all six batters he faced. He struck out two on the night.
Rome has now lost 10 of 14 games this season against Columbia including 6 of 7 played at Segra Park.
Rome and Columbia continue their three game series on Tuesday evening. First pitch of Game 2 is scheduled for 7:05 pm at Segra Park. Rome will start Venezuelan LHP Gabriel Noguera (2-2, 4.24) while Hagerstown will counter with RHP Willy Taveras (3-5, 3.99).
Rome Braves (26-31): 2 R 4 H 1 E
Columbia Fireflies (22-35): 5 R 8 H 0 E
W: Simeon Woods-Richardson (1-6)
L: Alan Rangel (4-4)
S: Chris Viall (2)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 4, 2019
- GreenJackets Outlast Asheville for 7-6 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Bizarre Ninth Caps off 1-0 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Hurls Career-High 8.1 Innings in 4-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Grasshoppers Overwhelm RiverDogs as Lockridge Keeps On-Base Streak Alive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Takes Series with 3-2 Win over Rome - Rome Braves
- Drive Fall to Lexington on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- Taveras Masterful in Middle Game Versus Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Claws Combine on Shutout in 1-0 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- K-Town Solves Rodriguez, Bashes 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Rack up 14 Strikeouts in Loss to Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 4 vs. Rome (Game 58) - Columbia Fireflies
- Harris promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Suns Send Two to 60th SAL All-Star Game - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 4) - West Virginia Power
- Augusta Sports Leagues Host Softball & Kickball Finals at SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Have Six Selected to South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters for All-Star Game - SAL
- Two Intimidators Make 60th Annual South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Corry, Tona, Munguia Selected to SAL All-Star Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ronny Mauricio Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Columbia Fireflies
- Five Legends Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Lexington Legends
- Four Braves Named South Atlantic League All-Stars - Rome Braves
- Four Tourists Headed to the All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Three Drive Players Tabbed for South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Greenville Drive
- Trio of 'Dads Hitters Named to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Great Eight: 'Birds Stack All-Star Roster - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 South Atlantic League All-Star Rosters Unveiled - West Virginia Power
- Braves Bats Silenced in 5-2 Loss to Fireflies - Rome Braves
- Offensive Showdown Ends in GreenJackets Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Recap: Mountain Too Tall to Climb in Critical Contest - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.