Game Recap: Mountain Too Tall to Climb in Critical Contest
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists fell behind the Augusta GreenJackets early on. Asheville cut the deficit to one run not once, not twice, but on three separate occasions. Unfortunately, the Tourists never managed to pull even. Asheville fell in the series opener 9-8.
Augusta plated two runs in the top of the first. Niko Decolati drove in Terrin Vavra with an RBI groundout in the bottom of the first for a 2-1 score after one. The GreenJackets then exploded for four runs in the top of the fourth. Daniel Montano hit a big two-run triple for Asheville in the bottom half but Augusta's run in the fifth made it 7-3.
Asheville then rallied for three runs in the bottom of the fifth. Coco Montes drove in one with a single to left and Grant Lavigne plated a pair with a single to left-center. Once again, the Tourists were within a run at 7-6.
The GreenJackets rallied for a pair of runs in the top of the sixth. The Tourists wasted little time responding. Decolati came to the plate with the bases loaded in the bottom half a lined a two-run single off the right field wall. However, that would be Asheville's last hit of the game.
Both teams held each other off the scoreboard the rest of the way. Raymells Rosa and Alexander Martinez pitched well for the Tourists out of the bullpen. The loss drops Asheville four games behind Augusta in the standings with two left to play in the series.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 4, 2019
- GreenJackets Outlast Asheville for 7-6 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Bizarre Ninth Caps off 1-0 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Hurls Career-High 8.1 Innings in 4-2 Win - West Virginia Power
- Grasshoppers Overwhelm RiverDogs as Lockridge Keeps On-Base Streak Alive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Takes Series with 3-2 Win over Rome - Rome Braves
- Drive Fall to Lexington on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- Taveras Masterful in Middle Game Versus Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Claws Combine on Shutout in 1-0 Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- K-Town Solves Rodriguez, Bashes 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Rack up 14 Strikeouts in Loss to Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 4 vs. Rome (Game 58) - Columbia Fireflies
- Harris promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Suns Send Two to 60th SAL All-Star Game - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 4) - West Virginia Power
- Augusta Sports Leagues Host Softball & Kickball Finals at SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Have Six Selected to South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters for All-Star Game - SAL
- Two Intimidators Make 60th Annual South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Corry, Tona, Munguia Selected to SAL All-Star Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ronny Mauricio Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Columbia Fireflies
- Five Legends Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Lexington Legends
- Four Braves Named South Atlantic League All-Stars - Rome Braves
- Four Tourists Headed to the All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Three Drive Players Tabbed for South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Greenville Drive
- Trio of 'Dads Hitters Named to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Great Eight: 'Birds Stack All-Star Roster - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 South Atlantic League All-Star Rosters Unveiled - West Virginia Power
- Braves Bats Silenced in 5-2 Loss to Fireflies - Rome Braves
- Offensive Showdown Ends in GreenJackets Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Recap: Mountain Too Tall to Climb in Critical Contest - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.