Columbia Takes Series with 3-2 Win over Rome
COLUMBIA, SC - Two early runs were all the Braves offense could muster on Tuesday night against the Columbia pitching staff and it wasn't enough as the Fireflies beat Rome 3-2 and won the series. The Braves recent losing skid hit four games with the defeat.
After waiting until the 6th inning for a hit on Monday in the series opener the Rome bats started fast on Tuesday against Fireflies RHP Willy Taveras. Making his Rome debut Jeremy Fernandez reached in the 1st inning on an infield single and moved to second base on a throwing error. Greg Cullen then came up and drove a ball to the wall in right for an RBI double. Henry Quintero eventually brought in Cullen with a sacrifice fly and Rome was up 2-0.
The crucial inning would be the Bottom of the 2nd when three Columbia runs scored on three hits and with some help from the Braves defense. Juan Uriarte brought in a run on an RBI single to make it 2-1. The tying run scored on a fielding error and the go-ahead run came in on a sacrifice fly by Mark Vientos. Two of the three runs against Rome starter LHP Gabriel Noguera were unearned.
Neither offense was able to muster a rally the rest of the night. The Braves put the tying run on base in the 5th and 7th innings but were unable to drive it in. Columbia relievers retired the final 11 Rome hitters they faced in the game.
One major bright spot for Rome was the continued good work of reliever RHP Victor Vodnik, who was just named the team's Player of the Month for May. Vodnik on Tuesday night threw four scoreless innings, allowing only one hit and one walk with three strikeouts. He lowered his season ERA to 2.10. Andrew Moritz was 2-3 in the game with a double.
Rome has now lost 11 of 15 games this season against Columbia including 7 of 8 played at Segra Park. In one run games between the two teams this year Rome is 0-5.
Rome and Columbia conclude their three game series on Wednesday evening. First pitch in the series finale is scheduled for 7:05 pm at Segra Park. Rome will start RHP Jose Olague (5-4, 3.39) while Columbia will counter with RHP Colin Holderman (3-1, 3.86).
Rome Braves (26-32): 2 R 6 H 2 E
Columbia Fireflies (23-35): 3 R 6 H 1 E
W: Willy Taveras (4-5)
L: Gabriel Noguera (2-3)
S: Tylor Megill (2)
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 4, 2019
- GreenJackets Outlast Asheville for 7-6 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Bizarre Ninth Caps off 1-0 Loss - Hagerstown Suns
- Chandler Hurls Career-High 8.1 Innings in 4-2 Win - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Grasshoppers Overwhelm RiverDogs as Lockridge Keeps On-Base Streak Alive - Charleston RiverDogs
- Columbia Takes Series with 3-2 Win over Rome - Rome Braves
- Drive Fall to Lexington on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- Taveras Masterful in Middle Game Versus Rome - Columbia Fireflies
- Four Claws Combine on Shutout in 1-0 Win - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- K-Town Solves Rodriguez, Bashes 'Birds - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 'Dads Rack up 14 Strikeouts in Loss to Power - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 4 vs. Rome (Game 58) - Columbia Fireflies
- Harris promoted to High-A Florida - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Suns Send Two to 60th SAL All-Star Game - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (June 4) - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Augusta Sports Leagues Host Softball & Kickball Finals at SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
- RiverDogs Have Six Selected to South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Charleston RiverDogs
- South Atlantic League Announces Rosters for All-Star Game - SAL
- Two Intimidators Make 60th Annual South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Corry, Tona, Munguia Selected to SAL All-Star Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Ronny Mauricio Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Columbia Fireflies
- Five Legends Named to South Atlantic League All-Star Team - Lexington Legends
- Four Braves Named South Atlantic League All-Stars - Rome Braves
- Four Tourists Headed to the All-Star Game - Asheville Tourists
- Three Drive Players Tabbed for South Atlantic League All-Star Game - Greenville Drive
- Trio of 'Dads Hitters Named to SAL All-Star Team - Hickory Crawdads
- Great Eight: 'Birds Stack All-Star Roster - Delmarva Shorebirds
- 2019 South Atlantic League All-Star Rosters Unveiled - Charleston Dirty Birds
- Braves Bats Silenced in 5-2 Loss to Fireflies - Rome Braves
- Offensive Showdown Ends in GreenJackets Favor - Augusta GreenJackets
- Game Recap: Mountain Too Tall to Climb in Critical Contest - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.