Feisty Battle Goes to Fuel in Overtime
INDIANAPOLIS, IN- The Wheeling Nailers and Indy Fuel played a spirited and tightly contested game on Wednesday night, which featured a fight, a couple of ejections, and both teams getting a point in the standings. Wheeling's Austin Fyten and Indy's Willie Raskob lit the lamp in regulation, as goaltenders François Brassard and Dan Bakala were both excellent between the pipes. However, it was Indy who emerged with the extra point, as Antoine Waked finished off an odd-man rush in overtime for the 2-1 win.
For the second consecutive game, some fireworks got things going for the Nailers, as Evan Wardley dropped the gloves with Ross Olsson, and ultimately put Wheeling on the power play. While on the man advantage, Michael Pelech made a centering pass to Sean Josling, which got bounced around in the slot, before it eventually got swatted into the net on the backhand by Austin Fyten.
The animosity between the two rivals continued into the middle frame of the eighth head-to-head meeting of the campaign. An altercation between Wardley and former Nailer Cédric Lacroix led to some 4-on-4 play, and that's when the Fuel drew even. Willie Raskob twirled around at the blueline, before catching a head of steam and motoring into the right circle, where he shot against the grain and found the twine on the left side.
Defense and goaltending were fantastic throughout the contest, and both sides were held off of the scoreboard in the third period, as overtime was required to decide a winner.
At the 1:52 mark of the extra session, Indy picked up the victory. Michael McNicholas glided in on the right side of the offensive zone, then chipped a pass through the slot to Antoine Waked, who wristed the winning strike into the top-left corner of the goal for a 2-1 Fuel triumph.
Dan Bakala earned the victory for Indy, as he stopped 27 of the 28 shots he faced. François Brassard turned in a solid effort for Wheeling, as he made 21 saves on 23 shots in the overtime defeat.
The Nailers will play three games on home ice this weekend. Wheeling will host Fort Wayne on Friday and Saturday at 7:10, before welcoming Indy to town on Sunday at 4:10. A limited number of tickets are available for Wheeling Nailers home games, and season memberships and flex packs are also available. To purchase yours or to get more information, visit wheelingnailers.com or call (304) 234-GOAL. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 10, 2021
- Blades Topple Stingrays with Pair of Late Goals - South Carolina Stingrays
- Waked Overtime Winner Propels Indy over Wheeling - Indy Fuel
- Everblades Defeat Stingrays - Florida Everblades
- Feisty Battle Goes to Fuel in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - February 10 - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - February 10 - ECHL
- Solar Bears Acquire Goaltender Taran Kozun, Claim Forward Luc Brown - Orlando Solar Bears
- Grizzlies Announce Remaining Games of 2020-21 Schedule - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Announce Fourth and Final Phase of 2020-21 Schedule - Orlando Solar Bears
- Weekends at the Well Continue; Final 12 Regular Season Home Dates Announced - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Rush, ECHL Announce Final 28 Games of 2020-21 Schedule - Rapid City Rush
- Icemen Announce Final Tier of 2020-21 Season Schedule - Jacksonville IceMen
- Oilers Announce Phase Four of 2020-21 Schedule - Tulsa Oilers
- Everblades Announce Final Group of Games for 2020-21 Season - Florida Everblades
- Fuel Announce Final Window of ECHL Schedule - Indy Fuel
- Nailers Announce Remainder of 2020-21 Schedule - Wheeling Nailers
- Final 28 Regular Season Games Announced - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Announce Final Phase of the Regular Season Schedule - Allen Americans
- ECHL Reveals Remainder of 2021 Schedule - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hockey Operations to Raise Money for Local Businesses - Maine Mariners
- Game Preview: Stingrays vs. Everblades, February 10 at 7:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Gear up for Road Trip to Charleston - Florida Everblades
- Allen Defeats Utah 2-1 in Shootout - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Beat Utah in a Shootout - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.