Early Lead Dissipates Quickly in Loss
The Manitoba Moose (18-22-0-0) were defeated 6-2 by the Grand Rapids Griffins (17-19-2-2) on Saturday night at Van Andel Arena.
The clubs exchanged power play opportunities in the first period however neither club was able to capitalize. With 10 seconds remaining in the frame, Andrei Chibisov set up Logan Stanley for the one timer and an absolute rocket gave Manitoba the 1-0 lead.
Less than a minute into the second period, Dominic Turgeon scored for the Griffins tying the game 1-1. Just over two minutes later, Dennis Cholowski notched his first of the season to give the Griffins the 2-1 lead. At 6:41, Kristian Vesalainen sent a shot on net from the side boards which, on a generous deflection, found its way past Griffins netminder Calvin Pickard making the score 2-2. The Griffins scored three goals to close out the second frame with an even-strength tally from Michael Rasmussen and a power play goal each from Moritz Seider and Chris Terry. Following Moritz Seider's goal on the man advantage, Eric Comrie replaced Mikhail Berdin between the pipes for Manitoba.
With 6:21 gone in the third period, the Grand Rapids power play continued to prove lethal as Rasmussen scored on a four-on-three opportunity to make the score 6-2 in favour of the Griffins. With 3:17 remaining in the third, Joona Loota found an opportunity to diminish Grand Rapids lead but he was denied by Pickard and the Griffins held on to the 6-2 victory.
Andrei Chibisov set a new pro-career high with 21 points (7G, 14A)
Nelson Nogier paced the Moose with five shots on net What's Next?
The Moose return home to take on the Belleville Senators on Monday, Jan. 13. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m. CT. Tickets are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Eagles Point Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Johns, Stars Stun Marlies in 5-3 Comeback Victory - Texas Stars
- Late Zykov Goal Pushes Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 vs. Marlies 3 - Texas Stars
- Griffins Win Third Straight, Move into Tie for Fourth - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Alex Lyon Roars to 37-Save Shutout against Laval - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Early Lead Dissipates Quickly in Loss - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Sweep San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Drop Heartbreaker to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Stun Wolf Pack with 3-0 Shutout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Daccord Posts First Career Shutout in Utica Win - Belleville Senators
- Bears Mash Monsters, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lorito and Bourque each score during first game of Military Appreciation Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Denied 6th Straight Win in Fierce Showdown with Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCormick's Hat Trick Leads Checkers to 5-2 Road Win - Charlotte Checkers
- DeSmith Controls Wolf Pack in 3-0 Loss to Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Clipped by Bears in Hershey, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Shutout by Belleville - Utica Comets
- Barracuda Overheat, Fall to Stockton 2-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Coyotes Recall Prosvetov; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Zagidulin Earns First AHL Shutout in Saturday Win - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Top IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Home Tonight for Pet Leash Giveaway at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brandon Anselmini to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Extend Win Streak to Five, Thump the Crunch 7-5 - Laval Rocket
- Defenseman Eric Knodel Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 11, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Defender Christian Djoos Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game 35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Rally Falls Short against Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Mahura Lefts Gulls in Overtime - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to San Diego 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Drop First Road Game Since November 30 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Cap Road Trip in Style with 5-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.