Zagidulin Earns First AHL Shutout in Saturday Win
Artyom Zagidulin made 26 saves in his first AHL shutout as the Stockton Heat bested the San Jose Barracuda for the seventh time this season by a 2-0 final Saturday at the SAP Center. The shutout was the second-straight blanking of San Jose for the Heat, who have held the Barracuda off the board for the last 129 minutes of head-to-head hockey. Alan Quine gave Stockton a 1-0 lead late in the first, finding the back of the net on the power play with just 10 seconds left in the opening frame and Byron Froese doubled the advantage nearly 14 minutes into the second for the decisive 2-0 score. Austin Czarnik notched a helper on each of the Heat's markers, the forward's fourth multi-point game of the season. The Heat will look to make it 8-0 against San Jose Sunday afternoon at the SAP Center with a 3 p.m. puck drop.
W: Artyom Zagidulin (26 shots, 26 saves)
L: Zachary Sawchenko (22 shots, 20 saves)
Three Stars: First - Artyom Zagidulin (26 svs, SO), Second - Alan Quine (1g), Third - Byron Froese (1g)
Shots On Goal: STK - 22, SJ - 26
Power Plays: STK - 1-3, SJ - 0-4
- Artyom Zagidulin recorded his first AHL shutout with 26 stops.
- The Stockton have blanked San Jose in each of the last two games between the clubs and have held the Barracuda scoreless over the last 129:02 of game time. The Heat's last three shutouts have all come against San Jose.
- Alan Quine extended his scoring streak to five games with his goal in the first period. He has two goals and six points overall in that span.
- Byron Froese notched his 12th goal of the season and third in the last four games with a backhand in the second period. He has five points (3g,2a) in the Heat's last five games.
- Martin Pospisil returned to the Heat lineup for the first time since October 19.
- Stockton is now 7-0 on the year against San Jose, matching the longest-ever win streak for either team in the all-time series between the Heat and Barracuda.
- Stockton concludes the first half of the regular season with an all-time team best 47 points.
The Heat conclude the weekend set against San Jose Sunday at 3 p.m. and will return home on Wednesday against the San Diego Gulls at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Eagles Point Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Johns, Stars Stun Marlies in 5-3 Comeback Victory - Texas Stars
- Late Zykov Goal Pushes Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 vs. Marlies 3 - Texas Stars
- Griffins Win Third Straight, Move into Tie for Fourth - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Alex Lyon Roars to 37-Save Shutout against Laval - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Early Lead Dissipates Quickly in Loss - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Sweep San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Drop Heartbreaker to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Stun Wolf Pack with 3-0 Shutout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Daccord Posts First Career Shutout in Utica Win - Belleville Senators
- Bears Mash Monsters, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lorito and Bourque each score during first game of Military Appreciation Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Denied 6th Straight Win in Fierce Showdown with Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCormick's Hat Trick Leads Checkers to 5-2 Road Win - Charlotte Checkers
- DeSmith Controls Wolf Pack in 3-0 Loss to Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Clipped by Bears in Hershey, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Shutout by Belleville - Utica Comets
- Barracuda Overheat, Fall to Stockton 2-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Coyotes Recall Prosvetov; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Zagidulin Earns First AHL Shutout in Saturday Win - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Top IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Home Tonight for Pet Leash Giveaway at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brandon Anselmini to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Extend Win Streak to Five, Thump the Crunch 7-5 - Laval Rocket
- Defenseman Eric Knodel Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 11, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Defender Christian Djoos Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game 35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Rally Falls Short against Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Mahura Lefts Gulls in Overtime - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to San Diego 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Drop First Road Game Since November 30 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Cap Road Trip in Style with 5-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.