P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2
SPRINGFIELD, MA. - Ryan Fitzgerald scored the game-winning goal for the Providence Bruins on Saturday night as the P-Bruins defeated the Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2.
Dan Vladar got the start in goal for Providence and recorded 26 saves on 28 shots. The P-Bruins power play was one-for-five, while the penalty kill was five-for-seven. Providence outshot Springfield by a total of 33-28.
1st 2nd 3rd Final
PROVIDENCE 2 1 2 5
SPRINGFIELD 0 0 2 2
JAY LEACH, HEAD COACH
"I thought we were good. I thought Vladdy (Dan Vladar) was good early when we needed him to be. We were a little rusty to start and we got going as the period went on.
"The second period was a pretty good period for us. We started to put pucks behind them and play the way we wanted to play.
"Obviously the third period was a bit of a gongshow. That's what happens when teams play each other 14 times a year. Emotions run high sometimes. We're both looking to climb the standings, so it was good to get the two points. We got goaltending when we needed it, timely scoring, and performances from some guys that we really needed, so it was good. "
TRENT FREDERIC - ONE GOAL, ONE ASSIST
"That was a big win for us because we're so close in the standings right now. Those are big points when you're playing in these games, so we'd like to use this to get on a roll here.
"There's a little bit of history with this team. We obviously play them a lot during the season. It felt good to get a fortunate bounce at the start of the game and get us on the board. Hopefully we can keep things rolling into tomorrow."
- Anton Blidh and Karson Kuhlman both scored a goal for the first time this season.
- Trent Frederic and Brendan Gaunce both scored a goal and collected an assist. It marks the sixth multi- point game of the season for Frederic and fifth for Gaunce.
- In total, 11 different P-Bruins recorded at least one point.
- Ryan Fitzgerald scored his ninth goal of the season, matching his total from the 2018-19 season.
- The P-Bruins will return home to Providence, Rhode Island for a rematch against the Springfield Thunderbirds on Sunday, January 12 at Dunkin' Donuts Center. Puck drop is set for 3:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Eagles Point Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Johns, Stars Stun Marlies in 5-3 Comeback Victory - Texas Stars
- Late Zykov Goal Pushes Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 vs. Marlies 3 - Texas Stars
- Griffins Win Third Straight, Move into Tie for Fourth - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Alex Lyon Roars to 37-Save Shutout against Laval - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Early Lead Dissipates Quickly in Loss - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Sweep San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Drop Heartbreaker to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Stun Wolf Pack with 3-0 Shutout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Daccord Posts First Career Shutout in Utica Win - Belleville Senators
- Bears Mash Monsters, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lorito and Bourque each score during first game of Military Appreciation Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Denied 6th Straight Win in Fierce Showdown with Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCormick's Hat Trick Leads Checkers to 5-2 Road Win - Charlotte Checkers
- DeSmith Controls Wolf Pack in 3-0 Loss to Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Clipped by Bears in Hershey, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Shutout by Belleville - Utica Comets
- Barracuda Overheat, Fall to Stockton 2-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Coyotes Recall Prosvetov; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Zagidulin Earns First AHL Shutout in Saturday Win - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Top IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Home Tonight for Pet Leash Giveaway at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brandon Anselmini to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Extend Win Streak to Five, Thump the Crunch 7-5 - Laval Rocket
- Defenseman Eric Knodel Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 11, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Defender Christian Djoos Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game 35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Rally Falls Short against Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Mahura Lefts Gulls in Overtime - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to San Diego 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Drop First Road Game Since November 30 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Cap Road Trip in Style with 5-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Complete Weekend Sweep, Beat Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-2
- Vladar Records Shutout as P-Bruins Defeat Laval Rocket, 3-0
- P-Bruins Top Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, 4-2
- P-Bruins Earn One Point, Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers in Overtime, 2-1
- P-Bruins Fall to Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 4-2