Rocket Extend Win Streak to Five, Thump the Crunch 7-5
SYRACUSE - In a game that featured 12 goals, the Laval Rocket scored seven in a convincing 7-5 win over the Syracuse Crunch at the Upstate Medical University Arena on Friday night, extending their win streak to five games.
Head coach JoÃ«l Bouchard earned his 50th AHL victory behind the bench. Phil Varone played his 500th career AHL game in his return to the lineup for the first time since sustaining an injury on Oct. 30th
Four players registered two-point nights. Charles Hudon recorded a pair of goals and has amassed 13 in his last 12 games. Xavier Ouellet notched two assists and extended his point streak to five games (4 G, 3 A). Riley Barber logged a goal and assist, ranking second in team points (22). Jake Evans also added two helpers and leads the Rocket in points with 27.
With an assist, Yannick Veilleux continues to impress, registering a seventh point (4 G, 3 A) in as many outings since joining the Rocket. Laurent Dauphin dressed in his first game since being acquired in a trade on Jan. 7. Both Christian Folin and Karl Alzner scored their first goals of the season.
The Crunch ended the first period with a 2-1 lead, clocking in 11 shots to the Rocket's four. Cory Conacher opened scoring with less than five minutes played. Barber then took advantage of a turnover in the slot to tie the game at one-a-piece. With 56 seconds remaining in the frame, Taylor Raddysh restored Syracuse's lead.
The visitors were off to a much better start in the second period, tallying three goals in a twominute span. Thirty-seven secondsin, Folin sent a blast from the mid-slot past Spencer Martin to it up. Alexandre Alain registered his eighth goal of the season, sending a snipe on a twoon-one down low and forcing the Crunch to replace netminder Martin by Mike Condon.
However, the latter succumbed on the first shot he faced. Kevin Lynch grabbed a loose puck near left half-wall and skated around the goalmouth, defeating Condon with a forehand deke.
Ross Colton cut the Rocket's lead to one on the powerplay, but the visitors returned the favour with less than five minutes in the frame. Hudon sent his signature snipe from the right faceoff circle on the man advantage to give the Rocket a 5-3 lead after 40 minutes of play.
Daniel Walcott took advantage of a loose puck in front of Cayden Primeau near the halfway mark of the third period to cut the Rocket's lead once again. Hudon notched his 18th of the season on a two-on-one with Lukas Vejdemo. The Crunch pulled their goalie for an extra attacker with less than five minutes in the game, but Alzner netted the insurance marker.
Cameron Gaunce registered the Crunch's fifth tally of the game with 10 seconds left but the Rocket emerged victorious against their division rivals and will prepare to face the Lehigh Valley Phantoms Saturday night in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
"After a positive meeting during the first intermission, we really brought a different game in the second period and even in the third period, I thought we played much more decisively," said Bouchard after the game.
LAV: Barber | Folin (Veilleux, Barber) | Alain (Ouellet)| Lynch (Jevpalovs, Alzner) |
Hudon (Ouellet, Evans) | Hudon (Evans) | Alzner (Cox)
SYR: Conacher (Martel, Sieloff) | Raddysh (Colton, Sieloff) | Colton (Foote) |
Walcott (Thomas, Yan) | Gaunce (Joseph, Conacher)
Unités spéciales/Special teams
LAV | AN/PP: 1/3| IN/PK: 0/2
SYR | AN/PP: 2/2 | IN/PK: 2/3
LAV: Primeau (26/31) | SYR: Martin (4/7) Condon (17/20)
Trois étoiles/Three stars
Hudon - LAV 2. Ouellet - LAV 3. Colton - SYR
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Eagles Point Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Johns, Stars Stun Marlies in 5-3 Comeback Victory - Texas Stars
- Late Zykov Goal Pushes Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 vs. Marlies 3 - Texas Stars
- Griffins Win Third Straight, Move into Tie for Fourth - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Alex Lyon Roars to 37-Save Shutout against Laval - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Early Lead Dissipates Quickly in Loss - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Sweep San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Drop Heartbreaker to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Stun Wolf Pack with 3-0 Shutout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Daccord Posts First Career Shutout in Utica Win - Belleville Senators
- Bears Mash Monsters, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lorito and Bourque each score during first game of Military Appreciation Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Denied 6th Straight Win in Fierce Showdown with Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCormick's Hat Trick Leads Checkers to 5-2 Road Win - Charlotte Checkers
- DeSmith Controls Wolf Pack in 3-0 Loss to Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Clipped by Bears in Hershey, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Shutout by Belleville - Utica Comets
- Barracuda Overheat, Fall to Stockton 2-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Coyotes Recall Prosvetov; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Zagidulin Earns First AHL Shutout in Saturday Win - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Top IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Home Tonight for Pet Leash Giveaway at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brandon Anselmini to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Extend Win Streak to Five, Thump the Crunch 7-5 - Laval Rocket
- Defenseman Eric Knodel Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 11, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Defender Christian Djoos Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game 35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Rally Falls Short against Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Mahura Lefts Gulls in Overtime - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to San Diego 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Drop First Road Game Since November 30 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Cap Road Trip in Style with 5-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.