Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 5-4
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch rallied back from a two-goal deficit to top the Rochester Americans, 5-4, tonight at Upstate Medical University Arena.
Taylor Raddysh paced the Crunch with a goal and two assists, while Ross Colton (1g, 1a) and Cory Conacher (2a) both had multi-point nights. The win halts a two-game skid and moves the Crunch to 1-1-2-0 in the 12-game season series against the Amerks.
Goaltender Martin Spencer stopped 20-of-24 between the pipes for the Crunch. Andrew Hammond turned aside 28-of-33 in net for the Amerks. Both Syracuse and Rochester went 0-for-4 on the power play.
The Amerks opened scoring when Tyler Randell forced a turnover and scored on the breakaway 5:55 into the game. Rochester doubled their lead halfway through the first period. C.J. Smith picked off a pass in the right circle and backhanded a feed across the slot for John Gilmour to chip in back door.
The Crunch got on the board during 4-on-4 play 9:25 into the second period. Colton rushed into the zone down the right wing and fired a wrister as he cut across the slot. Raddysh tallied a point on the play.
A minute later, the Amerks regained their two-goal lead. Smith centered the puck for Brett Murray to score from between the circles. Casey Mittelstadt earned the secondary helper.
Syracuse pulled back within one 2:47 into the third period. Colton chased the puck down behind the net and threw it back out front for Raddysh to redirect past Hammond. Mathieu Joseph tallied an assist on the goal.
Rochester was again quick to respond and answered with a shorthanded goal from Jean-Sebastien Dea less than two minutes later.
The Crunch kicked off a third-period rally at the 8:36 mark scoring three unanswered to steal the win. Katchouk started it when he found the rebound from Ben Thomas's shot and swept in the second-chance opportunity. Raddysh got the secondary assist. At 11:25, Pat Sieloff ripped a slap shot from the point off a pass from Conacher for his first with the Crunch. Daniel Walcott then potted the game-winner with 2:28 remaining in the game during a scramble in front of the net. Gemel Smith and Conacher assisted on that tally.
The Crunch travel to face the Binghamton Devils for the final game of the weekend's three-in-three tomorrow at 3:05 p.m.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the Upstate Medical University Arena at Onondaga County War Memorial at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Taylor Raddysh recorded his second three-point game of the season tonight and has goals in back-to-back games. He has five points (3g, 2a) in the last four games...Ross Colton has goals in consecutive games recording three points (2g, 1a) in those two games...Daniel Walcott has goals in back-to-back games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Eagles Point Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Johns, Stars Stun Marlies in 5-3 Comeback Victory - Texas Stars
- Late Zykov Goal Pushes Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 vs. Marlies 3 - Texas Stars
- Griffins Win Third Straight, Move into Tie for Fourth - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Alex Lyon Roars to 37-Save Shutout against Laval - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Early Lead Dissipates Quickly in Loss - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Sweep San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Drop Heartbreaker to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Stun Wolf Pack with 3-0 Shutout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Daccord Posts First Career Shutout in Utica Win - Belleville Senators
- Bears Mash Monsters, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lorito and Bourque each score during first game of Military Appreciation Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Denied 6th Straight Win in Fierce Showdown with Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCormick's Hat Trick Leads Checkers to 5-2 Road Win - Charlotte Checkers
- DeSmith Controls Wolf Pack in 3-0 Loss to Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Clipped by Bears in Hershey, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Shutout by Belleville - Utica Comets
- Barracuda Overheat, Fall to Stockton 2-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Coyotes Recall Prosvetov; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Zagidulin Earns First AHL Shutout in Saturday Win - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Top IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Home Tonight for Pet Leash Giveaway at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brandon Anselmini to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Extend Win Streak to Five, Thump the Crunch 7-5 - Laval Rocket
- Defenseman Eric Knodel Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 11, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Defender Christian Djoos Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game 35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Rally Falls Short against Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Mahura Lefts Gulls in Overtime - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to San Diego 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Drop First Road Game Since November 30 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Cap Road Trip in Style with 5-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2019-20 AHL Second All-Star Team
- Syracuse Crunch Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Daniel Walcott to One-Year Contract
- Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Syracuse Crunch, Utica Comets, Binghamton Devils, Rochester Americans Partner with American Red Cross to Announce New York Hockey Gives Blood