Eagles Point Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Roadrunners
LOVELAND, CO. - The Colorado Eagles had their 12-game point streak halted in a 4-2 loss to the Tucson Roadrunners on Saturday. Jayson Megna and Shane Bowers each found the back of the net in the loss. Tucson goalie Tyler Parks collected the first AHL win of his career in net, making 31 saves on 33 shots. Roadrunners forward Andy Miele paced the offense with two goals and an assist.
Tucson outshot Colorado in the opening 20 minutes by a count of 10-8, but the Eagles would kill off the lone power play of the first period and the two teams would head to the intermission with the game still scoreless.
The scoring would break loose in the second period, as Miele would collect a pass on the side of the crease where he would deflect the puck into the back of the net to put Tucson on top 1-0 at the 4:31 mark of the middle frame.
Colorado would generate an answer just 44 seconds later when Megna drove from the left-wing circle to the top of the crease before muscling a shot past Parks. The tally was Megna's 12th goal of the season and tied the game at 1-1.
It would only take 19 seconds for Tucson to hop back in the driver's seat, as forward Beau Bennett would field a pass between the circles and blister a shot past Eagles goalie Hunter Miska to give the Roadrunners a 2-1 edge at the 5:34 mark of the second period.
Tucson would expand its lead 5:22 into the third period when Miele flew down the right-wing boards before snapping a shot from the circle that would find the back of the net and put the Roadrunners on top, 3-1.
Colorado would pull Miska in favor of the extra attacker with just under four minutes left to play, but it would be forward Tyler Steenbergen who would capitalize with an empty netter at the 17:31 mark of the final frame.
Bowers would give the Eagles a shot of life when he swept home a rebound on top of the crease to trim Tucson's advantage to 4-2 with 1:51 still remaining in regulation. Colorado would again pull Miska and it would lead to several good looks on net, but Parks would hold off the pressure to secure the Roadrunners' 4-2 win.
Miska surrendered three goals on 26 shots in the loss, as both teams finished the night going 0-for-3 on the power play.
The Eagles return to action when they travel to take on the San Jose Barracuda on Wednesday, January 15th at 8:05pm MT at SAP Center in San Jose, California.
Tickets for all regular season contests are on sale now and can be purchased at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling (970) 686-SHOT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Eagles Point Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Johns, Stars Stun Marlies in 5-3 Comeback Victory - Texas Stars
- Late Zykov Goal Pushes Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 vs. Marlies 3 - Texas Stars
- Griffins Win Third Straight, Move into Tie for Fourth - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Alex Lyon Roars to 37-Save Shutout against Laval - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Early Lead Dissipates Quickly in Loss - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Sweep San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Drop Heartbreaker to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Stun Wolf Pack with 3-0 Shutout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Daccord Posts First Career Shutout in Utica Win - Belleville Senators
- Bears Mash Monsters, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lorito and Bourque each score during first game of Military Appreciation Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Denied 6th Straight Win in Fierce Showdown with Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCormick's Hat Trick Leads Checkers to 5-2 Road Win - Charlotte Checkers
- DeSmith Controls Wolf Pack in 3-0 Loss to Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Clipped by Bears in Hershey, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Shutout by Belleville - Utica Comets
- Barracuda Overheat, Fall to Stockton 2-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Coyotes Recall Prosvetov; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Zagidulin Earns First AHL Shutout in Saturday Win - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Top IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Home Tonight for Pet Leash Giveaway at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brandon Anselmini to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Extend Win Streak to Five, Thump the Crunch 7-5 - Laval Rocket
- Defenseman Eric Knodel Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 11, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Defender Christian Djoos Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game 35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Rally Falls Short against Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Mahura Lefts Gulls in Overtime - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to San Diego 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Drop First Road Game Since November 30 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Cap Road Trip in Style with 5-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- MacDonald Named AHL Second Team All-Star
- Colorado Eagles Statement on Cancellation of 2019-20 AHL Regular Season and Playoffs
- Colorado Signs Goaltender Peyton Jones
- Wagner Re-Signs with Eagles for 2020-21 Season
- Eagles Sign Forward Charlie Gerard for 2020-21 Season