Bears Mash Monsters, 4-2
(Hershey, PA) - Beck Malenstyn scored late in the 3rd period, and Axel Jonsson-Fjallby tallied twice to help the Hershey Bears double the Cleveland Monsters, 4-2, on Saturday night at Giant Center. Tied at 2-2 with 3:20 remaining, Malenstyn followed the rebound of a Brett Leason shot into the cage for the eventual game-winner.
Before Hershey's late game heroics, Jonsson-Fjallby opened scoring for the Chocolate and White for the second consecutive night. At 6:11, Jonsson-Fjallby potted his ninth goal of the season after burying a power play goal following a perfect, cross-ice pass from Chris McCarthy. The Bears led after 20 minutes, 1-0, with shots even at 9-9.
Late in the second period, Cleveland solved Pheonix Copley, but Hershey responded before the frame expired. At 16:21, Adam Clendening blasted a shot through traffic and into the cage for the equalizer. Only 1:37 later, the Bears converted on the power play for the second time. Bobby Nardella received a pass from Martin Fehervary, and blasted a slapper past Monsters goaltender Veini Vehvilainen. Shots after 40 minutes were 18-17 Hershey.
In the final period, Kole Sherwood evened the score once more for Cleveland upon further video review. On a collision play at the net, Sherwood was credited his fifth goal of the season despite the net being pumped off by Copley during the play. Malenstyn answered with his go-ahead, game-winning goal at 16:40, and Jonsson-Fjallby hit the vacant net at 19:43 to round out a 4-2 final.
Final shots finished 31-26 Hershey. The Bears power play finished 2-for-6, and penalty kill completed a 3-for-3 performance. It marked the first time the Chocolate and White tallied multiple power play goals in a single game since Oct. 13 versus Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, snapping a 35 game stretch. Hershey's record in the victory reaches a season-best, 12 games over .500 at 23-11-2-3.
The Hershey Bears return to action and kickoff back-to-back meetings in Charlotte on Tuesday, Jan. 14 against the Checkers. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 PM at Bojangles' Coliseum. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the call on the Bears Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Eagles Point Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Johns, Stars Stun Marlies in 5-3 Comeback Victory - Texas Stars
- Late Zykov Goal Pushes Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 vs. Marlies 3 - Texas Stars
- Griffins Win Third Straight, Move into Tie for Fourth - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Alex Lyon Roars to 37-Save Shutout against Laval - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Early Lead Dissipates Quickly in Loss - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Sweep San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Drop Heartbreaker to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Stun Wolf Pack with 3-0 Shutout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Daccord Posts First Career Shutout in Utica Win - Belleville Senators
- Bears Mash Monsters, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lorito and Bourque each score during first game of Military Appreciation Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Denied 6th Straight Win in Fierce Showdown with Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCormick's Hat Trick Leads Checkers to 5-2 Road Win - Charlotte Checkers
- DeSmith Controls Wolf Pack in 3-0 Loss to Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Clipped by Bears in Hershey, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Shutout by Belleville - Utica Comets
- Barracuda Overheat, Fall to Stockton 2-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Coyotes Recall Prosvetov; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Zagidulin Earns First AHL Shutout in Saturday Win - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Top IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Home Tonight for Pet Leash Giveaway at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brandon Anselmini to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Extend Win Streak to Five, Thump the Crunch 7-5 - Laval Rocket
- Defenseman Eric Knodel Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 11, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Defender Christian Djoos Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game 35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Rally Falls Short against Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Mahura Lefts Gulls in Overtime - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to San Diego 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Drop First Road Game Since November 30 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Cap Road Trip in Style with 5-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears and Capitals Extend Affiliation Agreement
- AHL Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Kale Kessy Named Hershey's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Hershey Bears Statement Regarding the Suspension of the AHL Season
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Gains Momentum for Big Road Weekend