Amerks Drop Heartbreaker to Crunch
(Syracuse, NY) ... The Rochester Americans (21-11-2-3) took a two-goal advantage going into the second intermission Saturday night at Upstate Medical University Arena, but the Syracuse Crunch (18-16-2-1) scored four times during the third period, including three unanswered goals over the final 11:24 of regulation, to escape with a 5-4 win. The contest was the fourth between the two clubs this season and all four have been one-goal outcomes.
Despite the loss, the Amerks show a 16-8-1-2 record over their last 17 games dating back to Nov. 1, earning points in 19 games over that span.
Forward C.J. Smith chipped in a pair of assists for Rochester, which coming into tonight had prevailed in each of the first three meetings of the season against the Crunch. Tyler Randell, John Gillmour, Brett Murray and Jean-Sebastien Dea all found the back of the net while goaltender Andrew Hammond (10-8-2) suffered his sixth straight loss for the Amerks.
Taylor Raddysh helped Syracuse to its second win in the last seven games as he netted a goal to go with a pair of assists. Ross Colton (1+1) and former Amerk Cory Conacher (0+2) also had a multi-point outings while Boris Katchouk, Patrick Sieloff and Daniel Walcott all rounded out the scoring. Netminder Spencer Martin made 20 saves in the victory to push his record to 7-8-1 on the season.
Four minutes after Dea gave the Amerks a 4-2 lead 4:14 into the final period of play, Katchouk pounced on a loose puck to the left of Hammond to bring Syracuse within a goal. The hometown team continued to pressure in hopes of tying the game and they were successful as Conacher setup Sieloff atop the blueline for a one-time blast with 8:15 left in regulation.
As overtime was looming, and with the puck behind the Amerks net, Syracuse's Gemel Smith put the puck out in front of the goal crease at the 17:32 mark. Nearly all 10 players crashed the blue paint to locate the puck, but Walcott spotted it amid the scramble and jammed it behind Hammond, giving the Crunch their first lead of the evening.
In an attempt to even the score, Hammond was pulled for the extra attacker, but Martin held off the effort, including Zach Redmond's shot in the dying seconds of the contest to hand Rochester its sixth loss in the last seven games.
The Amerks carried a 2-0 cushion going into the first intermission thanks to Randell and Gilmour's fifth and fourth goals of the season, respectively, in addition to holding a 10-7 advantage in shots through the opening frame.
The score remained the same until Colton brought Syracuse within one with 10:35 left in the middle stanza before Murray countered back to restore the Amerks' two-goal advantage just 67 seconds later.
After serving a slashing penalty, C.J. Smith provided an outlet pass out of the Rochester zone to Casey Mittelstadt to send the club in transition. Pulling up along the half-wall to wait for help off the bench, Mittelstadt centered a pass to Murray in-between the face-off dots. Murray collected the puck and snapped it into the net to give the Amerks a 3-1 lead they carried going into the final 20 minutes of regulation.
The two clubs emerged from the break and Syracuse outscored Rochester 4-1 in the third period to earn a 5-4 victory.
The Amerks embark on their final three-in-three of the season on Friday, Jan. 17 when they welcome the Cleveland Monsters back to Rochester for a North Division showdown at The Blue Cross Arena. Game time is slated for a 7:05 p.m. start and will be carried live on The Sports Leader AM 950/95.7 FM ESPN Rochester as well as AHLTV.
ROC: T. Randell (5), J. Gilmour (4), B. Murray (5), J. Dea (12)
SYR: R. Colton (7), T. Raddysh (8), B. Katchouk (8), P. Sieloff (2), D. Walcott (4 - GWG)
ROC: A. Hammond - 28/33 (L)
SYR: S. Martin - 20/24 (W)
ROC: PP (0/4) | PK (4/4)
SYR: PP (0/4) | PK (4/4)
1. T. Raddysh (SYR)
2. R. Colton (SYR))
3. B. Katchouk (SYR)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Eagles Point Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Johns, Stars Stun Marlies in 5-3 Comeback Victory - Texas Stars
- Late Zykov Goal Pushes Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 vs. Marlies 3 - Texas Stars
- Griffins Win Third Straight, Move into Tie for Fourth - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Alex Lyon Roars to 37-Save Shutout against Laval - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Early Lead Dissipates Quickly in Loss - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Sweep San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Drop Heartbreaker to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Stun Wolf Pack with 3-0 Shutout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Daccord Posts First Career Shutout in Utica Win - Belleville Senators
- Bears Mash Monsters, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lorito and Bourque each score during first game of Military Appreciation Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Denied 6th Straight Win in Fierce Showdown with Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCormick's Hat Trick Leads Checkers to 5-2 Road Win - Charlotte Checkers
- DeSmith Controls Wolf Pack in 3-0 Loss to Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Clipped by Bears in Hershey, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Shutout by Belleville - Utica Comets
- Barracuda Overheat, Fall to Stockton 2-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Coyotes Recall Prosvetov; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Zagidulin Earns First AHL Shutout in Saturday Win - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Top IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Home Tonight for Pet Leash Giveaway at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brandon Anselmini to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Extend Win Streak to Five, Thump the Crunch 7-5 - Laval Rocket
- Defenseman Eric Knodel Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 11, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Defender Christian Djoos Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game 35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Rally Falls Short against Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Mahura Lefts Gulls in Overtime - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to San Diego 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Drop First Road Game Since November 30 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Cap Road Trip in Style with 5-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Amerks Honorary Captain Video Series Named 2020 Bronze Telly Award Winner
- Amerks Announce Year-End Team Award Winners for 2019-20 Season
- Amerks Sign Jesper Olofsson to One-Year AHL Deal
- WHEC-TV in Rochester Airing Game 7 of 1996 Calder Cup Finals on Saturday Afternoon
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season, 2020 Calder Cup Playoffs