Alex Lyon Roars to 37-Save Shutout against Laval
Lehigh Valley, Pa. - Alex Lyon recorded a Lehigh Valley record sixth career shutout, making a season-high 37 saves, as the Lehigh Valley Phantoms (14-19-1-4) defeated the Laval Rocket (20-15-3-1) on Saturday at PPL Center by a score of 2-0. It was Lehigh Valley's first shutout of the season. Lyon's performance was supported by goals from Kyle Criscuolo and Tyler Wotherspoon.
Offense was slow for both teams to start the game, as it took five minutes for either team to generate a shot. The Phantoms had a scoring chance on a Connor Bunnaman breakaway, but his shot went wide of the net. Laval was able to produce three times as many shots as the Phantoms but Alex Lyon was able to make nine saves and help kill off three penalties to keep Lehigh Valley in the game through 20.
Despite having recorded only nine shots leading up to it, the Phantoms scored the first goal of the game at the 16:21 mark in the second period. Bunnaman passed the puck to James de Haas at the top of the right circle, who ripped a slap shot that was deflected in front and poked into the net by Kyle Criscuolo for his fifth goal of the season. Bunnaman registered his first assist of the season on the tally and de Haas picked up his second.
The Phantoms extended their lead to 2-0 less than four minutes into the third period, when Tyler Wotherspoon scored on a wrist shot from the top of the zone. Laval goalie Keith Kinkaid was unable to make a play due to poor visibility caused by screens from Andy Andreoff and Mikhail Vorobyev, and the puck found it's way to the back of the net for Wotherspoon's third goal of the season.
Alex Lyon was sensational in net for the Phantoms throughout the entire game, making 37 saves on his way to the first shutout of the season and sixth of Lyon's career, making him the sole leader in Lehigh Valley history in shutouts, breaking a previous tie with Dustin Tokarski.
LV - (16:21) Kyle Criscuolo (5) (de Haas, Bunnaman)
LV - (3:59) Tyler Wotherspoon (3) (Prosser, Vorobyev)
1st: Alex Lyon (37-save shutout)
2nd: Kyle Criscuolo (1 goal)
3rd: Tyler Wotherspoon (1 goal)
NEXT TIME OUT: The Phantoms will celebrate Star Wars tomorrow as they continue their first home stand of 2020 against the Cleveland Monsters (17-17-1-2) at 3:05 p.m. It will be the final game of a 3-in-3 for Lehigh Valley.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Eagles Point Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Johns, Stars Stun Marlies in 5-3 Comeback Victory - Texas Stars
- Late Zykov Goal Pushes Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 vs. Marlies 3 - Texas Stars
- Griffins Win Third Straight, Move into Tie for Fourth - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Alex Lyon Roars to 37-Save Shutout against Laval - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Early Lead Dissipates Quickly in Loss - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Sweep San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Drop Heartbreaker to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Stun Wolf Pack with 3-0 Shutout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Daccord Posts First Career Shutout in Utica Win - Belleville Senators
- Bears Mash Monsters, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lorito and Bourque each score during first game of Military Appreciation Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Denied 6th Straight Win in Fierce Showdown with Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCormick's Hat Trick Leads Checkers to 5-2 Road Win - Charlotte Checkers
- DeSmith Controls Wolf Pack in 3-0 Loss to Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Clipped by Bears in Hershey, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Shutout by Belleville - Utica Comets
- Barracuda Overheat, Fall to Stockton 2-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Coyotes Recall Prosvetov; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Zagidulin Earns First AHL Shutout in Saturday Win - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Top IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Home Tonight for Pet Leash Giveaway at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brandon Anselmini to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Extend Win Streak to Five, Thump the Crunch 7-5 - Laval Rocket
- Defenseman Eric Knodel Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 11, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Defender Christian Djoos Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game 35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Rally Falls Short against Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Mahura Lefts Gulls in Overtime - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to San Diego 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Drop First Road Game Since November 30 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Cap Road Trip in Style with 5-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley Phantoms Stories
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- GOALS4LV Challenge Has Raised $6,550 in Just Two Weeks
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms Launch GOALS4LV Challenge to Fight COVID-19
- Lehigh Valley Phantoms and PPL Center Are Proud to Support LVHN as a Potential Surge Facility During Coronavirus Outbreak
- Kurtis Gabriel Named Lehigh Valley's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year