Roadrunners Drop First Road Game Since November 30
Despite winning their final four road games of 2019, the Roadrunners' first contest away from Tucson Arena in 2020 did not go in their favor, falling 5-1 to the Colorado Eagles Friday.
The Eagles took their advantage on the evening's first shift, capitalizing on an uncharacteristic turnover by Tucson in their own end just 29 seconds in.
Brandon Halverson, who was making his first start as a member of the Roadrunners, then stopped the next six shots faced before a flurry of goals from Colorado just 47 seconds apart ended his night.
Tyler Parks would then enter in relief for Tucson, the first action of Parks' AHL career. Signed to a professional tryout (PTO) Friday morning, the 27-year-old, Missouri-born goaltender comes to the Roadrunners after a successful start to the season with the team's ECHL affiliate, the Rapid City Rush.
Parks would settle in over the remaining 45 minutes for work, turning away 18 Eagles' attempts, however, not before two would beat him. The contest was in the home team's favor 5-0 in the first 25 minutes.
As mentioned though, Parks found his groove and before the final horn sounded, 46 seconds before to be exact, Michael Chaput spoiled the shutout bid of Adam Werner by poking a loose puck home on the power play. The goal served more relevance than that of just getting on the board for the Roadrunners though, as Michael Bunting extended his point streak to nine games by earning the primary assist.
Bunting joins Mike Sislo, who did so in 2018, as the only Roadrunners ever to have points in nine straight contests.
Late tally aside, a 5-1 loss was the end of Friday's 60 minutes.
THEY SAID IT
"We hate losing. It usually shows in our games after a loss. We'll all respond the way everyone expects us too. We hold ourselves to a standard and it should be much better tomorrow night."
Forward Andy Miele communicating post-game that a game like tonight won't sit will with the locker room.
DON'T OVERLOOK IT
It's hypothetical and surely there are other factors that went into it, but if you take away the rocky first period, it's a 1-1 game the rest of the way tonight.
The sentiment heading into tonight's contest was that it would be one contingent upon getting a good start and being on the right side of momentum swings. While neither of those worked in Tucson's favor, the rest of the contest could check a few boxes. Tucson got a power play goal, they outshot Colorado in both the second and the third and got a very late tally that could carry some of that aforementioned momentum into Saturday night's affair.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2020
- Eagles Point Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Roadrunners - Colorado Eagles
- Johns, Stars Stun Marlies in 5-3 Comeback Victory - Texas Stars
- Late Zykov Goal Pushes Wolves Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Post Game Notes: Stars 5 vs. Marlies 3 - Texas Stars
- Griffins Win Third Straight, Move into Tie for Fourth - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Alex Lyon Roars to 37-Save Shutout against Laval - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Early Lead Dissipates Quickly in Loss - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Sweep San Antonio - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Drop Heartbreaker to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Stun Wolf Pack with 3-0 Shutout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Daccord Posts First Career Shutout in Utica Win - Belleville Senators
- Bears Mash Monsters, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Rally Past Amerks, 5-4 - Syracuse Crunch
- Lorito and Bourque each score during first game of Military Appreciation Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- T-Birds Denied 6th Straight Win in Fierce Showdown with Bruins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- McCormick's Hat Trick Leads Checkers to 5-2 Road Win - Charlotte Checkers
- DeSmith Controls Wolf Pack in 3-0 Loss to Pens - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Clipped by Bears in Hershey, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Shutout by Belleville - Utica Comets
- Barracuda Overheat, Fall to Stockton 2-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Coyotes Recall Prosvetov; Assign Capobianco to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Zagidulin Earns First AHL Shutout in Saturday Win - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Top IceHogs in OT - Milwaukee Admirals
- Condors Home Tonight for Pet Leash Giveaway at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brandon Anselmini to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Rocket Extend Win Streak to Five, Thump the Crunch 7-5 - Laval Rocket
- Defenseman Eric Knodel Recalled from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, January 11, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Comets, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Monsters, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Defender Christian Djoos Re-Assigned to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Game 35 Preview: Tucson at Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Rally Falls Short against Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Mahura Lefts Gulls in Overtime - San Diego Gulls
- Iowa Falls to San Diego 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Drop First Road Game Since November 30 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Condors Cap Road Trip in Style with 5-3 Win - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.