Eagles Outlast Tucson in 4-3 Shootout Victory
TUCSON, AZ. - Colorado Eagles forward Michael Joly scored a pair of goals, while fellow forward Logan O'Connor posted three assists in the Eagles 4-3 shootout win over the Tucson Roadrunners 4-3 on Friday. Goaltender Pavel Francouz earned his 26th win of the season, stopping 34 of the 37 shots he faced and shutting down all three of the Roadrunners shooters in the shootout. The win now puts Colorado five points ahead of Tucson for the fourth and final playoff spot in the Pacific Division.
The Roadrunners would waste little time in generating the game's first goal, as forward Nick Merkley would snag a turnover at the side of the net and smack the puck home to give Tucson a 1-0 edge just 1:24 into the contest. The Roadrunners earned an opportunity to stretch the lead when forward Michael Bunting was awarded a penalty shot at the 6:30 mark of the period, but Francouz would cut down the angle and force the shot wide. The first period saw Tucson outshoot Colorado 13-9, as the Eagles were held 0-for-2 on the power play in the opening 20 minutes.
Trailing 1-0 after one period, Colorado would storm back in the second frame, as Joly would take advantage of a 2-on-1 rush with a shot from the left circle that would beat Tucson goalie Adin Hill and tie the game at 1-1 at the 7:42 mark of the period. As time ticked down in the second period and with the Eagles facing a penalty kill, forward Dominic Toninato would collect a pass in his own zone and fly down the ice before besting Hill and giving Colorado a 2-1 advantage with only 12 seconds left in the second stanza.
The Eagles would open the final 20 minutes by building upon their lead, as Joly would weave his way through the slot before snapping a shot from the top of the crease into the back of the net. The tally would push Colorado's advantage to 3-1 just 4:33 into the third period.
Still trailing by two goals late in the contest, the Roadrunners would chip into the deficit when Merkley snapped a wrister from the right circle on the power play that would light the lamp and trim the Eagles lead to 3-2 with 6:38 left to play in the game.
Exactly three minutes later, Merkley would complete his hat trick when he capped off a rush down the ice with a shot from the slot that would beat Francouz and tie the game at 3-3.
The two teams would be forced into sudden-death overtime and each side would earn several quality chances. The play of Francouz and Hill would prevent any scoring, however and the game would shift to a shootout.
Francouz denied all three shooters for Tucson, while forward Scott Kosmachuk found the back of the net on Colorado's third opportunity to give the Eagles the 4-3 victory. Colorado was outshot 37-33, as the Eagles were held 0-for-5 on the power play while going 4-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Eagles return to action when they take on the Tucson Roadrunners on Saturday, March 30th at 8:05pm MT.
Single-game tickets for the 2018-19 season are on-sale now and start at just $18 per seat. Purchase your seats today by visiting the Budweiser Events Center box office, online at ColoradoEagles.com or by calling the Eagles ticketing department at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 30, 2019
- Condors Fall 4-2 in Front of 6,502 to San Jose - Bakersfield Condors
- Gulls Close Stand with Narrow Loss - San Diego Gulls
- Valimaki Scores Late to Give Stockton 2-1 Win over San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Rampage Top Moose on Walman Winner - San Antonio Rampage
- Rockford Finishes Series with 4-1 Win over Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Crunch Blow Past Comets, 6-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs Keep Playoff Push Alive with Divisional Win over Griffins - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Maintain Central Division Lead - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Capture Fourth Straight Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Playoff Bound After 6-4 Win in Binghamton - Rochester Americans
- San Antonio Breaks Skid with Win against Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Stumbles in 4-1 Loss to Texas - Iowa Wild
- Alex Lyon Spectacular in Shootout Win at Cleveland - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Lose to Thunderbirds, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Monsters Fall to Phantoms in 3-2 Shootout Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Snively Shines in Debut, Bears Beat Bruins 2-1 - Hershey Bears
- Devils Fall to Amerks 6-4 in Front of 4,502 - Binghamton Devils
- Brad McClure's Natural Hat Trick Powers 4-1 Stars Win - Texas Stars
- Bridgeport defeats AHL's top team to lower its magic number to "three" - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pack Foiled by OT Goal - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Amerks First-Round Playoff Tickets Set to Go on Sale Friday, April 5 at 10:00 a.m. - Rochester Americans
- Comets Quick Start Spoiled by Crunch - Utica Comets
- Balisy Buries OT Winner to Beat Hartford - Belleville Senators
- Checkers' Point Streak Ends in Bridgeport - Charlotte Checkers
- Rockwood & Zolnierczyk Instrumental in 4-1 Takedown of Penguins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Third Period Comeback Lifts Bears over P-Bruins 2-1 - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Two - San Diego Gulls
- Marlies Host Rocket - Toronto Marlies
- Defenseman Kevin Davis Reassigned to Utah - Colorado Eagles
- Game #62 Preview: Tucson vs. Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Penguins Reassign RenÃ¢rs Krastenbergs to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Flames Sign Dmitry Zavgorodniy to Entry Level Contract - Stockton Heat
- Roadrunners Sign Kallgren to Amateur Tryout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Lehigh Valley Recalls F Mike Huntebrinker from Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Division Leading Condors Host Second Place San Jose Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Heat Begin Road Swing in San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Reassigns Fulcher to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Preview: Bruins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Adam Clendening from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Sound Tigers Host Checkers, Bears this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Wolf Pack, March 30 - Belleville Senators
- Merkley Shines as Roadrunners Fall Short to Colorado in a Shootout - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Suffer Shutout Loss - Ontario Reign
- Early Struggles Cost Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Eagles Outlast Tucson in 4-3 Shootout Victory - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Headed to Playoffs After 3-2 Win in San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.