Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep
Davenport, Iowa - Blaze Alexander's three-hit night powered the Kane County Cougars (32-31) past the Quad Cities River Bandits (39-21), 9-3, on Monday night at Modern Woodmen Park. The Cougars entered the night on the verge of being swept by the River Bandits for the first time since 2017.
Quad Cities grabbed a first inning run on Freudis Nova's RBI single. Alexander tied the game on his fourth homer of the year in the second inning. Ruben Castro put Quad Cities back in front with a third inning sacrifice fly.
The Cougars erupted for six runs in the fifth inning, their most in a single at-bat this year. Alek Thomas laced a go-ahead RBI single through a shifted infield. Zack Shannon added on with an RBI single. Eddie Hernandez provided the big blow with a bases-clearing triple to extend the lead to 7-2.
Quad Cities got a run in the bottom of the fifth, but that was the final tally the Cougars gave up on the night.
Michel Gelabert (2-1) earned his second win. The lefty tossed five innings, allowed three runs on five hits and struck out six batters. Chester Pimentel and Kai-Wei Lin both pitched two shutout innings and combined for seven strikeouts. Matt Rupenthal (2-1) suffered the loss. He allowed four runs over 4.1 innings.
The Cougars scored their final two runs in the ninth on singles by Alexander and Joe Gillette.
The Cougars are 3.5 games back of the Burlington Bees for the first-half Wild Card spot with seven games to play until the All-Star Break. Burlington comes to Northwestern Medicine Field for the start of a three-game series Tuesday night. First pitch is schedule for 6:30 P.M. Purchase tickets by calling 630-232-8811 or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 10, 2019
- Forgettable Fifth Inning Derails Bandits in 9-3 Loss - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cardenas Narrowly Misses Cycle in Win over Lansing - Lake County Captains
- Alexander's Three-Hit Night Helps Cougars Avoid Sweep - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Swept by Loons and Fall in Finale 8-3 - South Bend Cubs
- Four-Game Sweep? No Problem - Great Lakes Loons
- Danner Goes Deep Again in 10-4 Lugnuts Loss - Lansing Lugnuts
- Banfield, Scott Homer in LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Edge Fort Wayne 3-2 as Thrilling Finish Extends Winning Streak to Eight - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Fall Just Short in Series Finale at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers stay hot on the road, take series in Appleton - Beloit Snappers
- "Quake" County Captains Debut Tuesday, June 11 - Lake County Captains
- LumberKings Come Home for Final Time in 1st Half - Clinton LumberKings
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 11-16 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers Fall Short to Beloit in 4-1 Loss - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Lose Seventh Straight - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alvarez Homers, Sampen Shines in 4-0 Win to Clinch Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Long Road Swing Ends with 10-1 Rout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blown Out by Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Parkview Field Recognized as Best Class A Ballpark - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hagen Danner Named MWL Player of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 10 at Dayton (Game 62) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Sweep Doubleheader over Clinton, 4-3, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- Deason Named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hulsizer Named in Home Run Derby Field - Great Lakes Loons
- MWL Announces All-Star Home Run Derby Participants - MWL
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Announce 2021 Schedule
- George Tsamis Named Cougars Field Manager
- Cougars Announce Schedule for 2021 Season
- Cougars to join Major League Baseball Partner League, the American Association, for 2021 season
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season